Conundrum

Traveling with my rig, need that letter saying they cant open it

Ah, I dont remember what it's called, but I remember someone posting about traveling with their rig and there is a written something saying that security cannot open it to inspect it. Can somene point me in the right direction so I can print it out and bring it with me? I'm flying somewhere next Thursday

-C

They can open it, but they're not supposed to, and they are supposed to try to find you first. It's on the

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1147.xml

http://www.flybirdman.com/docs/tsa.pdf

http://www.flybirdman.com/tsa/start.html
a good story about a bad experience.

hints: put that letter on the rig, along with name, flight information, cell number if you'll have it on, etc
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I think this might be the letter you’re after.

http://www.uspa.org/news/images/TSA_ltr_to_USPA.pdf

It doesn’t say they can’t open it though… just says you should be there if they do.

Vicki

Oh ok, well they can open it if they really feel the need to ( not like Im gona blow up the damn place ) I just wasnt sure if it said they could or couldnt open it or what the deal was.... so I just guessed.

Thanks for the links. :)

hints: put that letter on the rig, along with name, flight information, cell number if you'll have it on, etc

Oh that baby is gonna be carry on, there's no way Im checking it. It will be interesting to see the expression on the other passengers faces' too. :)

Thanks again for the info. :)

Oh that baby is gonna be carry on, there's no way Im checking it. It will be interesting to see the expression on the other passengers faces' too. :)

Thanks again for the info. :)

sure.... carry on IS better,,but heed the advice given here frequently...:|
Put it in a gear bag,,, just the rig,,,
maybe fold over the page with the TSA letter on it and tuck that somewhere under the rig...
Try NOT to open the bag unless you have to....(as you go through security on the way to the gate..).MOST personnel are familiar with sport rigs,,, ( or at least SHOULD be )..
and FOR SURE ......
don't go takin' it out of the gear bag
so that other passengers can SEE it....prior to boarding,,, and for sure not once you are seated.... :| :S [:/] ......
BE discreet,,,, rather than wind up WISHING you were.......( whuffos don't really CARE if you skydive,,, and most of them don't wanna see Your parachute..... )
The silliest thing.... is to be strolling through the terminal,, with your rig slung over your shoulder by the main lift web.....capice'?? ;)

>Ah, I dont remember what it's called, but I remember someone
> posting about traveling with their rig and there is a written
> something saying that security cannot open it to inspect it.

That's a double edged sword. The letter says they can open both the main and reserve containers, but they have to get you first. So the letter might ensure that you are present, but they also might read it and say "this letter says to look in the main and reserve containers."

sure.... carry on IS better,,but heed the advice given here frequently...:|
Put it in a gear bag,,, just the rig,,,
maybe fold over the page with the TSA letter on it and tuck that somewhere under the rig...
Try NOT to open the bag unless you have to....(as you go through security on the way to the gate..).MOST personnel are familiar with sport rigs,,, ( or at least SHOULD be )..
and FOR SURE ......
don't go takin' it out of the gear bag
so that other passengers can SEE it....prior to boarding,,, and for sure not once you are seated.... :| :S [:/] ......
BE discreet,,,, rather than wind up WISHING you were.......( whuffos don't really CARE if you skydive,,, and most of them don't wanna see Your parachute..... )
The silliest thing.... is to be strolling through the terminal,, with your rig slung over your shoulder by the main lift web.....capice'?? ;)

I don't have a gear bag. :( I don't really have a choice but to either carry it over my shoulders or to try to shove it into my suitcase. And what about my helmet? I'm gonna just have to carry it. I want to do this without having to check anything. Maybe I have a duffle bag somewhere :| What a pain in the ass. Maybe Ill just leave everyhting at home and not even try to jump.

What do you pack in your harness?
2 canopies and a ADD?

If so,then they can see it on the xray,and they usaly has seen such before.. Only problem i EVER had were,traveling UK- DK,i had my BASE rig has hand lugage(spell sorry),in a stash bag.It contains 1 canopi whith out a slider(usaly jump slider off) and no ADD,first when a pilot arrived and i told him what it were fore did the securety realize that i would have no chance to survive THIS jump:
Jumping from a jet,at 26000ft whith out oxygen.1 canopi whith out a slider,and crossing a big ocean would mean that IF i surviveded a opening from a jet whith out a slider,and holding my breath until i could breeth,how should i then survive in the 3degee C cold water??:ph34r::D.
Point is that by common talk they didnt open my packjob,and i walked on board whith my gear.
Never had an issue besides this...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

:| :o [:/] No No No...
I did not mean to discourage you......
You certainly should bring your rig along with you... How else will you skydive when you get there????:oB| ;) ..
If you have another week or so,, can't you borrow a gear bag from a friend?????... If the rig is small enough and the bag large enough the helmet may fit in there as well...and then you're just a bit less obvious that way... that's all..!!!!:)

I always carry my rig on my back. I don't ever try to obscure it by putting it in a bag. On my latest trip it prooved to be an incredibly minor hassle, the guard didn't think they were allowed, so I showed him the TSA letter, and that was it.

Well, that wasn't really it... we were in the "Super-Strip-Search-Security" line, but that decision was made because of the idiot who buoght our tickets bought one way tickets with cash, aparently...

I will continue to wear my rig on my back, without a gear bag because being open, up front, and honest has so far worked well for me while traveling.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.