TheBile

Regaining fitness.

At this current moment in time my fitness levels are really REALLY low. Not only that but my flexibility is pretty much non existent and my lower back aches even after something as minor as a long, brisk walk.

Is it possible to get fitness levels and flexibility up to a sufficient standard for skydiving in 5 months without joining a gym ?

Has anybody gone through such a process or had a similar story ?
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

yes. i know such a situation. the quickest, smoothest solutions is: keep on walking !

start right now and walk ! walk every step you can take, climb every stair you hit... walk, after a while start to run or simply do nordic walking. this is cheapest way for regaining finess. don't forget about stretching before and after walking:)
forget about driving your car for any short distances. walk. kick off the lazy dog inside you, walk and work on yourself. you quickly will feel results. B|

and soon as you'r in a run, the rest will follow.
check it out B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Five months are more than enough to get in shape, even without doing any serious working out. Walking more is a good start. Weather and location permitting, you can also consider using a bicycle or rollerblades for transportation or, better yet, recreation. If you ride on a daily basis, even 30 minutes to one hour of moderate cycling should get you in shape within a month or two.

As for your lower back- those pains are often caused by weak abdominal muscles. Still no need to join a gym, but I suggest you complement your program with some light workout exercises- sit-ups, push-ups, squats, pull-ups, stretching...stuff you can do at home and doesn't take much time.
And don't get discouraged if you suck at first- as long as you keep to it, you should start seeing results in less than a month.

Gerb, besides walking you will need exercises that tighten the abdominal wall. . .these muscles will help keep your back from hurting. . .Yes, you can exercise at home and walking without going to a gym and be in shape for skydiving. . .I did it. . .my first time out I couldn't flare so I had to work, work, work to build up strength in order to pull on those toggles. . .no problems now but it was tough at first.

You can see changes in 4 to 6 weeks by doing some home workouts. . .you should get a set of weights for home use though, they will help you build up some muscle tone. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

At this current moment in time my fitness levels are really REALLY low. ...Has anybody gone through such a process or had a similar story ?

I went from no running to running a MARATHON in 5 months. I started by running 10 minutes a day - first week, 12-15 minutes the next week, 15-20 the next, and so on. You can do it easily. Add a few isometrics (like push ups) and you'll be fine in SIX weeks!

Is it possible to get fitness levels and flexibility up to a sufficient standard for skydiving in 5 months without joining a gym ?

When I was a hard-core martial artist, I would sit infront of the TV in the evenings for about an hour or two. That's how I did it. Well, not exactly, I would stretch while watching TV. Holding stretches during the commercials.

That's also the trick I used to get flexible enough be able to side kick nearly straight up without leaning over.:P

Well, how can you use what I used?

Stretch while sitting around, think about what you use for skydiving, you use your legs, your abs, your back and your arms. What need to be nice and flexible? Well, mainly your "trunk", right? So work on some stretches to get flexibility there, also don't forget to stretch your hams, since that'll help with your mid-section flexability as well.

You can do some walking, try to jog, but if you can't, walking is still really good.

Also, don't forget some "basic" excersizes, crunchs, pushups, squat-thrusts, etc. It'll all only help you.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

YOGA!

Will give you strength, flexibility, and muscle control among other things.

Oh hell yeah!

I haven't done "real" yoga in a couple of years, but its definately GREAT for your body!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For your back problems I'd recommend a book by Robin A. McKenzie. The book title is "7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life".

You can get a copy from amazon.com for just over $10.

[/url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0452282772/qid=1078187899/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-0165955-9256802?v=glance&s=books

It is a really good book. The author is a physical therapist and actually, he goes through explaining where back problems come from and also shows a set of exercises to get rid of the back pain. The stuff in the book simple and work amazingly well. I speak from my own experience.

--
markn