bluetwo

Sizing chart idea?

I think I searched pretty well and somebody delete this if it's completely worthless but it seems like a good idea for a sticky in this section would be a sizing chart for canopies and containers.

I see a lot of this canopy in this container but how about a comprehensive chart that shows what canopies will fit in each container? Again if something like this exists then my bad.

For canopy volumes ParaGear has a table in their catalog and
PIA has a table online at
http://www.ia.com/piapubs/TSDocuments/TS-104CanopyVolume.pdf

Most container manufacturers give volumes for their containers and/or example canopies.

But, be aware that just because one particular pair of canopy and container fit together doesn't mean that another, different set of the same models will fit together. Canopy volume can vary 10% up or down and container volume can vary. If you want your rigger to be happy to buy the biggest reserve that might fit in a particular container. First he/she won't like you very much and second if it's a 'large' reserve and 'small' container they may not fit at all.

For the new TSO standard the French government wanted an absolute, all inclusive list of which reserve fit in which container. The rest of us told them that there is no absolute answer.

The people that ask here?

For the most part are too lazy to look for themselves.;)

But prior experience is always good.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Yeah but the French government may have been onto something, not that they were right for an absolute but.... why wouldn't the skydiving community want to compile a list of what is and isn't known to work.

I think there are skydivers and maybe or maybe not riggers in particular who could start something like this.

I really do appreciate the link but I am aware, as it is easily apparent from a little reading, that volumes vary enough to be problematic and that's reason enough for a yay or nay by container.

I'll +1 what Terry said, as well as adding this:

Just because your packer can fit a 210 into a bag for a 190/170, doesn't mean that everyone can. It even makes a difference with temp/humidity.

All of the manufactures that I've seen post a chart that shows what canopies and combinations will fit in that size container. If you get a smaller container to look cool, it could just piss you off while you're trying to shoehorn a larger canopy into it. Not to mention that just because you got it closed, doesn't mean that it will open.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

2 to 1?... damn it.

Ok, I can see how the ideal fit situation creates shades of gray. I just figured people change canopies, newer people buy them, there's swapping and rigs being pieced together all the time....

2 to 1?... damn it.

Ok, I can see how the ideal fit situation creates shades of gray. I just figured people change canopies, newer people buy them, there's swapping and rigs being pieced together all the time....

Right, you can generally fit different sized canopies in a container, it might not look right, but they will fit. Best idea is to talk to a local good rigger and have them explain the whys and hows of container sizing. Its not all just about whatever you can cram into it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I'll +1 what Terry said, as well as adding this:

Just because your packer can fit a 210 into a bag for a 190/170, doesn't mean that everyone can. It even makes a difference with temp/humidity.

And it doesn't mean that you want to. A softer container can be more comfortable in the plane.

If you get a smaller container to look cool, it could just piss you off while you're trying to shoehorn a larger canopy into it.

Any smaller than needed to fit a carry-on (like 22x14x9") doesn't buy you anything.

This would be especially useful for people looking for used containers, but not caring too much which, they just want it to fit a certain size canopy. Offering a convenient place where the compatibility charts of all the mfgs are located in one place would be nice. Nothing more than just what the mfgs recommend, which means no reference to the PIA volume charts.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I see a lot of this canopy in this container but how about a comprehensive chart that shows what canopies will fit in each container? Again if something like this exists then my bad.

For the most part, it is far easier to call the manufacturer of the container and ask them what the container was built for. I dont think you'll get any manufacturer support behind this project, as manufacturer's dont want the jumping public to deem what canopies do and dont fit into their containers.

For whatever reason, people are so much more happy to post on dropzone.com rather than call the manufacturer. I just dont understand this mentality. On the other hand, the majority of canopy manufacturers publish these exact charts for main an reserve size. Sometimes they are published on the website, and other times you have to read something that you normally never would.... the owner's manual.

I dont think you'll get any manufacturer support behind this project, as manufacturer's dont want the jumping public to deem what canopies do and dont fit into their containers.

I suggested just having what is already published by the container mfgs collected into one place.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I like that idea but it seems like everybody is afraid to try anything at all. All I was asking is would it be worthwhile to get input from anyone/everyone on what main canopy will fit into what container within reason and what just wont or makes no sense to be stuffing into it.

Oh well, why not just keep on doing things the hard way....

I like that idea but it seems like everybody is afraid to try anything at all. All I was asking is would it be worthwhile to get input from anyone/everyone on what main canopy will fit into what container within reason and what just wont or makes no sense to be stuffing into it.

Oh well, why not just keep on doing things the hard way....

Then build it, keep it updated, eventually enough input will go into it for it work.

If you build it, they might come.