garyharbird

Skydiving movies.com

Dave,

The download speeds have been very good. I am still getting about 225 to 240KB/sec off the site pretty consistantly. Dont know if traffic is way up or if the ver2 site is still not getting hit that hard yet...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

225 to 240KB/sec off

I'm getting 350K on average.

I'm having a problem with the .mpg files. My realplayer V. 10 doesn't play the files once I download them, it doesn't seem to recognize the format!!!

HELP!

scott

I start off over 400 then it settles down into the mid 200's range.

I have a problem with missin components on some of the files. The components are noted as not available on the web for down load. I think it is some of the mov extensions. Small problem but a couple of things I want to see I cant. I will try and get more info and throw it up here...

Scott

ahh! I seem to have found a solution to my own problem!

When you click to download, you have the option of opening directly or saving the file to your harddisk.

You must save the file to you hard disk, then open the file.

Either way it takes the same amount of time to download. The downside is that it saves it to you harddisk, it doesn't want do "realtime" streaming!

It is a .avi extension and the error I get after downloadig the clip is "Quick Time is missing software required to display this movie file. Unfortunantly, it is not available on the quickTime server." Plays the sound but not the vid when this comes up. One of the ones I note this problem with is http://skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1197

Some of the other .avi seem to work fine??

Just curious

Scott C.

Not only is it important that you use a video player that recognizes the .mpg format (windows meda player is a good choice), but sometimes you will not have the correct CODEC in order to play the video. If you use Windows Media Player (recommended) you can go to the microsoft website and find an entire library of CODECS which can be downloaded and attached to the player. A fairly easy way to do this automatically is to run Windows Update, from Internet Explorer you can chose from the menu bar at the top "Tools" and then "Windows Update". It may take some time as you will quickly find you are more than likely very much in need of many critical and recommended updates. It's worth it in the end and you should probably be taking these updates anyway, regardless of your problems with videos.

Hope this helps.
Chris

PcCoder.net

This is too bad. Perhaps the domain name owner needs to find a host, agree to the terms and stick with them. I can't imagine that this site is going to get "that much" traffic once the novelty of a central skydive video download location has passed.

Perhaps the host should be told up front that this site is going to get alot of traffic at first, but will seriously calm down in a few weeks after going live.

PcCoder.net

Dude... talk to PilotDave. Average traffic was gigs per week for the last 2 years. After Dave just shelled out a boatload for this service just to have it shut down with no refund... I would quit with the hassle too.

Finding a place to store 15 gig's of files with 50+ gig transfer rates per month is not easy. Its even harder to find ones that will allow you to us that much of their pipe at any one time. The site was growing a lot also recently. I could see by the end of 2004 needing 20 gig's of storage space and 100 gig a month transfer's. [:/]
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I would quit with the hassle too

I wasn't hassling anyone, just offering constuctive criticism. Those numbers aren't really as "big" as you are trying to make them sound. Finding someone to host 20 gigs of storage space isn't difficult, just a little costly for an average joe.

Perhaps a better plan would be to try to use some file sharing software like the old napster or morpheus, however it could be a "skydive specific" version. This should help alot with the cost (there would be none) and people would be able to get their videos, not quite as effeciently or always when they wanted them; however it's not like they are getting them right now.

Again, not trying to say anything bad about the site. I loved it when it was up months ago. Just think there could be a different solution that would provide the same service to all the fellow skydivers who want to download videos/pics/etc.

PcCoder.net

Just FYI... the site wasn't shut down due to bandwidth use. I was well within my limits... only maybe 10 gigs transfered in the 2 days the site was open :)
The good news is they agreed to refund the unused portion of my money. But I'd rather have the site than the money, obviously.

The funny thing is that if I had set it up so you need to download a meg of text for every meg of video, the site wouldn't be shut down even though it would use double the bandwidth.

Dave

That sux, sorry to hear that.

I think something the host meant by saying no more than 33% of the site's traffic can be non-html is to specifically keep large downloads of files from occuring. If you get all kinds of traffic moving from page to page, etc. that is alot easier on the servers than serving up a 200mb stream of data to one user at one location at one time. Who knows how many other customers the host had, and depending on what web server he is using, he might not have the resources to accomodate that kind of traffic (i.e. it was affecting his other customers??)

PcCoder.net

True. But what the hell does someone do with 35 gigs of space and why don't they put that in big red letters above the submit button to sign up for a year of hosting? I'm not saying they have to highlight portions of the terms of service if they don't want to, but something seems very shady about their practices. I thought the deal sounded too good to be true and I was right.

Dave