pleifer

what would happen if.....

I (along with most of the gun-carrying public of the USofA) had the same idea, but I'm sure it'll never happen. I don't think explosive decompression is an issue as much as the fact that when we fly (in particular us penniless bastards who fly coach) are packed into that plane like sardines. There is just no way a round would get from the gun to anywhere else without going through somebody first. Plus, it's a fact that we get stressed out when we fly. It'd only be a matter of time before an argument between two passengers about who gets the overhead storage space would end up in a high-noon showdown.

Have you noticed that there have been no hijackings since 9/11? My opinion is it has NOTHING to do with the added security. Up until that day we (as a airline riding public) had been trained by past events that if we just be calm, relax, and do what the hijackers tell us that we'll PROBABLY be OK. I'm pretty sure that attitude is long gone. Remember that dude who tried to use his "shoe bomb" right after 9/11? The passengers damn near tore him limb from limb. Armed passengers or no, armed pilots or no, armed marshalls or no, I think hijackers realize that they're going to have thier hands full if they ever try to jack a plane again. I think the greater future threat comes from bombs rather than armed people.

Elvisio "my two cents turned into a quarter" Rodriguez

Not much, actually, it really is an urban myth. You'd have to breath oxygen, but the plane wouldn't blow open and no one would get sucked out.

The pressure difference isn't high enough to give you that, after the first 1-2seconds, it would be just like being in a jump plane. Even if there was a big hole, you wouldn't get "sucked" out, just like you don't get sucked out when you open the jump door.

All in all, its common sense.

it would still suck pretty badly though. if you couldn't get to an oxygen mask within about 15 seconds, you would pass out and remain unconsious until someone hooked you up to the oxygen or until the plane got below 16,000 feet. And I beleive pressurized stuff in the plane might start bursting... such as coke cans, bags of pretzels, etc. not sure on that one. plus the plane would get really damn cold.

anyways, I agree that the passengers shouldn't be allowed to carry. lets not forget, many terrorists are willing to die for their cause... whats to stop a terrorist carrying a powerful handgun and trying to shoot through the cockpit doors, or going to the back of the plane and firing off shots at the engines.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Good God ... that is one of the most ridiculous ideas I have ever heard of. I guess it never dawned on you what would happen if a bound breech a pressurized cabin?

Uh Canuck...don't believe everything you see in the movies. It's not totally like a balloon. We already have two very large holes in the back of the plane called outflow valves that regulate pressure inside the plane. They open and close accordingly. Put one quarter sized whole in the side of the plane and the valves will close to adjust. You will get a lot of whistling but that's about it. Oh, and your ears may be ringing from the discharging handgun. But that's about it.

No wiley coyote *pop* and the plane comes apart.

What was the name of the first pressurized plane, the one with the square windows, that basically did that due to stress points around the edges of the windows?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What was the name of the first pressurized plane, the one with the square windows, that basically did that due to stress points around the edges of the windows?

British Comet. They took a fuselage in a water tank and pressurized it over and over until it wouldn't any more. They drained the tank and then saw where the damage was. Yah, square windows...not a good thing.

Okay fine. Maybe I'm mistaken. You know it's good the learn a new thing every day. But I still think it's a bad idea to let the public start to carry weapons on an airplane. Who's to say that someone with a concealed weapons permit wouldn't have their own agenda?

I still have the mindset that nobody is going to get shot if no weapons are around (as opposed to thinking that nobody is going to get shot if everyone is packing). But I'm obviously in the minority in this country. In fact I'm still waiting for some DZ.COMer to cap my ass because they know I'm not packing.

By the way ... for those people looking to argue, I'm not going to let myself get caught up in yet another Talkback gun debate. If you you want to carry a weapon, that's fine. It's your right in this country. Please respect my right for thinking that I don't need to arm myself to get through life.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I agree. Most passengers should not be packing. There are exceptions such as law enforcement and FAMs.

Well, an unarmed crew got sliced up by box cutters and the plane was taken over. Time to turn the tables.

I worry more about charter jets and corporate stuff now. There is no protection on those planes really. And they could do a lot of damage still.

If every citizen with a concealed weapon permit were allowed to carry on board aircraft, we would have way to many incidents/accidents related to firearms on board....plus, if there was a hijack attempt, and 20 armed people on board....there would likely be 200 rounds expended and 50 innocent people killed..

Leave it to the professionals.

Mike

what he said

Don´t belive the hype

ok, would you prefer (A) dead terrorist with collateral damage, (B) a US fighter shoots down a commercial airliner, or (C) a 9/11 replay?

(1) I can't believe you think so low of every person with a concealed carry license.

(2) I'd be happy to leave it to the professionals, if they were on the fuckin plane.
(2A) TSA is making the FFDO program as hostile as it can
(2B) There aren't Air Marshals on 1% of flights and they're not taking applications for more.
So WHAT professionals should we leave it to?
(3) What would you say to allowing all federal law enforcement officials to carry on all domestic flights?

(4) How about all cops being allowed to carry on intrastate flights?

You can't get a CCW if you are a criminal. Ever heard of background checks?
There is this little thing called a DBCooper switch. You can't pull a DBCooper anymore.
Somehow CCW holders manage not to get drunk and threaten people on the ground.
Somehow CCW holders manage not to shoot themselves on the ground.
Somehow CCW holders manage not to cause a swath of carnage and destruction on the ground.
Somehow CCW holders manage not to kill bystanders when they defend themselves on the ground.

What makes you think being on a plane would change that?

ps - for the thousandth time, bullets going through the hull of a commercial airliner will not lead to seats being sucked out a gaping hole. Haven't you figured out NOTHING from the movie Dropzone was accurate?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Plus, it's a fact that we get stressed out when we fly. It'd only be a matter of time before an argument between two passengers about who gets the overhead storage space would end up in a high-noon showdown.

This reminds me of anti-gunners predictions of shoot outs over traffic accidents.

So far, the one and only recorded instance of a CCW shooting someone after an accident was ruled self defense because the other guy came after him with a club.

It just hasn't happened. A CCW permit does not turn someone into a homicidal maniac.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*