osuskydiver

Florida Scuba Diving

When was the last documented bird attack on a skydiver? And when birds get to be big enough and have mouths the size of garage doors filled with razor blades....then we will worry about it. I've never seen a bunch of skydivers point at bird in freefall and scream "ROBIN!!! Fly for you lives!";)
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

When was the last documented bird attack on a skydiver?

and when was the last time a scuba diver died fm impact with that big thing called earth, or a big scary airplane in freefall? :ph34r:

Both sports are dangerous. scuba is more common and recreational to the *common* person. 99% of hte people I've talked to on dive boats are petrified to skydive. Most skydivers I know think scuba is a pansy sport in comparison.

Whatever, doing both I just consider myself in better training to be a james bond stunt double. :ph34r:

__

was not sure if you were flying or driving back...

from what I hear key west is awesome diving, or see if you can get on a charter boat that will take you around the bahamas for a day... I have allways wanted to dive with the turtles... enjoy

Key West was cool, but Key largo is the place to dive in the keys (or so I've been told by everyone I've dived with;))
Last weekend it was only 67 F in the gulf so you might wanna try east coast (love the gulf stream, high 70's every time I was there during the winter) Jupiter has always been good to me.
Never dived noth florida though:$

if you dive the Gulf Coast side you will see a lot of sand and every now and again, you can do a wreck dive. Can't go inside though>:(. Go southern east or west side. Lots more to see there. Better vis as well.
Bottomless Beers and Blue Skies!

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

Key west is supposed to be OK, but Key Largo is supposedly the real treasure spot. KW is very commercialized and from what I hear stirred up due to the tourism, newbies with no bouyancy skills stirring things up...

the same is true for key largo... very commercialized ! i live down here and work in the diving industry. although i only do government work, i know most everybody in the charter business. so if you want to drive down to the keys i can steer you towards the "better" dive ops.
the big question is what kind of diving do you want to do ? that will determine the best "fit" for you.

i'd be glad to help ya if i can.
if not, then good luck and keep on jumpin' & divin' !!!

it's only when we've lost everything that we're free to do anything !

I will be at Sobe on the 22. I would not mind driving down to dive that day instead of jumping. about how far of a drive?

about what kind of divign I want to do, I only have my openwater card, so whatever kind they will allow me to do.

By the time you read this you have already read it.

You haven't dove the SG yet? Wow...I thought everybody in Florida had.. I went out there with a few friends one weekday. We got to the shop that runs the boat, We start lugging our tec gear out of our trucks(doubles, stage bottles, deco bottles, and scooters)

glad to hear there are some tech divers on dz.com !
what shop did you go out with ? by the sound of it i'm guessing quiessence .
dont hesitate to message me if you're headed to the keys to tech dive.
since diving is how i earn my living i spend most weekends on the motorcycle or skydiving, but if the location is right i'd be up for some run time.

it's only when we've lost everything that we're free to do anything !

(866) 307-3483 is the phone number to Force-E dive shop in Boca Raton. Give them a call and let them know you're an out of towner with an OW card (I imagine needing to rent full equipment?) and ask them for a recommendation. I still recommend diving with parrot Island, and Force E books to those boats very readily. the Boca shop isn't far from the marina anyway. Force E has been fabulous with me getting recurrent, buying equipment and finding buddies. Let them know you are alone and willneed paired up, or a DM in water, as not all boats out of the inlet have in water DMs unless requested.

Force E will set you up with equipment, etc, etc. If you run into a tall older guy (instructor) named Jeff, tell him Stacy said hi, he did some 1:1 with me getting me back into diving this summer.

from SoBe to the dive shop.... I"d give an hour and 15 mins or so, depending on traffic, etc. If you're going to deland frm there, you're right off of 95 at the dive place anyway and can hop right on and drive north.

you can do a wreck dive. Can't go inside though

I have been in two wrecks on the West coast.

Not something I would suggest to open water folks, but with the right tech gear and training they let us.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Sounds like fun. I live in the Carolinas and have been wanting to plan a road trip down through Florida hitting all the DZ's that I haven't been to yet ending up in Key Largo for a day or two of diving, then working my way back home. The ultimate vacation.

How do ya like it Johnny?

glad to hear there are some tech divers on dz.com !
what shop did you go out with ? by the sound of it i'm guessing quiessence .

No, it wasn't Quiessence...been out with them once a long time ago...but they just run six-packs.. This one had a boat they normally ran up to 18-20 divers on...so we were quite suprised they took just 4 of us out.. I don't remember the name of the shop - it was about a year ago, and I haven't been back since..

What kind of diving do you do for a living? Hardhat?

I do primarily cave diving, but I do go down to do some wrecks now and then. Most of the time I take a trip down there it's to do the deeper wrecks like the Wilkes and the U2513..

Mike