mchamp

Stolen gear database

Just wondering if anyone else had previously thought about setting up some sort of database. I do realize that there is a location where to "search" for stolen gear on this website, but I was just thinking of a more perhaps manageable way of tracking down items along with the location that it might currently be in.

Of course people can still register some gear such as AAD’s with the manufacture but that doesn’t really do much in terms of tracking it down asap now does it?

A proposed idea is to perhaps setup some sort of online database where riggers would enter in the serial number of the gear once it is sent in for a reserve repack or modification/inspection of some sort. Perhaps at an additional $5 cost or sth similar? If the rigger has repacked a rig/inspected the item before he/she wouldn't need to re-enter it but simply look it up and see if there is a match or current claim for that item (of course your name, location, and serial numbers would have to be logged initially....pics would be helpful as well).

Stolen gear obviously sucks[:/], just trying to find a reasonable way to help out other skydivers that got their heart and soul jacked and gear returned to the rightful owner!

Any ideas, proposals, input, recommendations, and advice highly open and welcome!;)
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Any riggers or people have any input regarding this situation?

Im no rigger, but I could see where people will not want to participate in it.

First off, you have to build the database, then get as many riggers on board as you could possibly fit. Riggers probably aren't going to want to sit there and punch numbers in a computer during a re-pack... Thats additional work, for the same pay. (not to mention, not all riggers are computer savy)

Second, its my rig, my serial numbers are none of your business. I bought it with my hard earned money. What would stop someone from contacting you and saying something like "That PD Sabre2 s/n 1234 is stolen, it belongs to me"? Even when they have nothing to back that up, you still have the asspain that it brings with it.

Third, good luck getting someone to pay $5 to add their rigs into the database. Thats a packjob! Yes, it offers an additional feeling of security about your gear, but... if someone stole your rig, they're probably not going to be asking the rigger to check the database, or enter it for that matter. They probably dont even know what they stole and theres a pretty poor chance that it will even find its way back to a rigger. (atleast without changing hands numerous times)

If I even thought that it would work at all, I would break out my PHP/mySQL database and write it myself. I don't believe it would ever take off. I wouldnt charge for the database/front end coding, I just dont believe it would go anywhere.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Any riggers or people have any input regarding this situation?

As a rigger, I certainly would not want to register my customers gear anywhere - that would be a violation of the trust that they put in me. If they want to register their own gear, they can. I value my privacy and I imagine my customers do too.

I do search stolen gear databases anytime I see gear for the first time. I do this at the same time that I search for service bulletins, and make sure I have the most current manual.

I believe the existing stolen gear databases as maintained by USPA and dropzone.com are sufficient for this purposes. I know that most people who have lost their gear rarely get it back, but I suspect the reason for this is that most gear that's stolen is not taken by jumpers, but is instead taken by opportunistic criminals. As evidence to this is the number of rigs that occasionally show up in flee-markets and eBay. Also, I suspect a number of rigs are stolen by foreigners who live in countries where checking the USPA list is not common. I do not think there are many US jumpers who are regularly jumping stolen gear.
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

It's too much trouble. All the riggers use the old school method of logging their reserve repacks. Most riggers could spent their entire career searching serial numbers and never find a match. Sucks when you lose your gear but it's rare that it ever shows up. I spent months searching all the classifieds sites without finding a single rig for sale let alone my own.

-Michael

BUMP

Just this week I was looking into dz.coms database, cause i stumbled across a fishy add..... didn't find the item....
But: is there a link-list of intl. databases on stolen gear???? if anybody has put together such a list, plz post
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

And for fucks sake people - be diligent about :
* taking pictures of your gear and it's serial numbers
* posting all the details and pics in the DB (link http://www.dropzone.com/stolen/ )

A week ago a got a deal that was too good to be true. The gear was not registered as stoeln anywhere I looked. I did the due diligence by tracking the rigger from the reserve seal, got a hold of the original owner who did in fact have it stolen, but only reported it stolen to the local PD and did not even have the serial numbers. It would have been totally reasonable for someone who is not familiar with the gear to buy it and in very good faith think they got a great deal.

Posting a few blurry pictures of Facebook and asking people to share is useless unless the gear is discovered within a few days.

DON'T BE LAZY ! (and yet I am certain I am pissing against the wind :()