skygazer

Confused...

Ok, I could use some friendly advice, folks.

I have 3 tandems, have posted about those and the associated feelings on them several times. My plan was to start AFP as soon as the weather here in Chicago warms up. Well, spring is here and lo and behold, I am having second thoughts..not the normal apprehension is starting something new, but a deeper thought. After spending the winter here at this site, and reading the posts covering everything from the pure joy of flying to the more serious side, malfunctions and the like...I started to wonder is this for me? I loved the tandems and the high I got was incredible and I started to wonder if I should just do tandems for the fun of it and then I wouldn't have to be in so deep...does that make sense? My buddy tells me it's time to take off the training wheels and get serious...well, is just having a blast so bad? One day I am sure I want to devote the time, effort and the bucks to this, the next minute I am thinking hmmmm...are ya nuts? The money is not an issue (well, to a certain point) and the husband things AFP is the way to go but totally leaves it up to me.

Has anyone else felt this way? Is it either you are "all in" to be serious or nothing? I'm glued to this site and out at the DZ almost every weekend. Maybe it's just the newbie jitters of the responsibility of yourself after the tandem
"free rides". Is even the fact I have to think on this telling me to just have fun with tandems go thru AFP and be on my own?

Oh, well, sorry for you all having to listen to me ask myself questions. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Take whatever pace is comfoprtable to you. But be sure where your motivation is coming from. Don't jump for anyone else except you. Don't do it because your hubby does it. Don't do it because your freinds do it. Do it because YOU want to do it. But if you decide ot go to AFP, do it without any breaks or delays.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

On my AFF level 2 and 3 I kept telling myself I didn't have to do this. . .that I didn't have to prove anything to myself. In the end, I did go through with it and cannot imagine NOT jumping out of planes. I am having a blast. Something mental happened between AFF and during student status. . .the scary jitters gave way to ABSOLUTE PURE joy. I am glad I continued with my AFF because I would not be having such a great time now. . .

Now that is me and you have to decide what is best for you. Good luck to you!
FGF #6
Darcy

do it without any breaks or delays.

Bingo. Be mindful of the fact that I know absolutely nothing before you read this: But I graduated from AFF about 5 days after I started on Level I. I think I did much better than I would have if I had waited and only done like one jump every weekend or something.

Either way, best of luck to you.

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Ya know, someone else told me something like that. I had about a month between jumps last year just due to committments I had going on but I never got the sky out of my head. Winter gave me too much time to think.

It sounds like you really want to continue but having some second thoughts. You could take the AFP transition class ($30 I believe) and then decide if you are ready. I was really questioning why I am doing this my first few AFPs ad I think that is common. I only made it half way through last year and cannot wait to finish this spring. I have a friend that started with me and after AFP3 is still struggling to decide if just doing tandems is the way to go fir him. There is nothing wrong with that. We are responsible for ourselves.

Listen:

I went throught he same thing. Approaching the dz was not just a matter of butterflies in teh stomach, but of crows pecking away at the inside.

Turns out, that was what I loved. Overcoming stark terror. I get jittery just thinking about my next time, and I'm convinced that after being off for so long it'll be the most scared I have ever been.

So, your are in good company (that assumes I am good company). Take that fear and use it to your advantage in preparation, for you know once you leave the craft, no second thoughts will occur.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You're not confused, you're normal. Fear is a good thing. It keeps you focused on surviving in a very dangerous environment. If you want to get into skydiving, get into it full time and accept the risks. The rewards are plenty -- great people, great times and sharing incredible experiences. Go through the training, you won't regret it. Yes, you'll be scared at times, but, hey, welcome to skydiving.:)
Edited to add: I waited 10 years before I got the guts to jump out of a plane, and as soon as I left the plane I knew this sport was for me. My only regret was waiting so long. I have been seriously injured skydiving, but I never once regretted getting into it; I only regretted f***ing up when I got hurt.

I appreciate everyone's kind words...it is a big decision. It's so hard to keep balance today between home, work and the things that bring you joy.

Yep, I need to dig into the motivation and go with the heart. Thanks to everyone, I appreciate your thoughts.

Now...anybody for a beer?