ChasingBlueSky

wisdom teeth adivce on jumping

So, all four wisdom teeth are coming out tomorrow morning, and they are putting me to sleep (laughing gas/IV combo).

Dr had no problem with me taking a commercial flight on Thursday. He mentioned placing moist tea bags wrapped in guaze into my mouth during the flight.

However, he mention three or more weeks before I could jump. He asked what alti I jumped from, and that is where he came up with that number. So, does that mean I could do hop n pops?

Also - any good recommendations of food while I am recovering?

I didn't skydive back then but I had my two wisdom teeth pulled. I was back to "normal" in about 3 days. In about a week it was like it never happened. Really seems to be a case by case thing. Mine came out pretty easy.....I've known other people that weren't so lucky. I'd say give it at least a week and then reassess.

Just had mine out last week...I had an easy case so it was really no big deal. I had local + gas, and really I wasn't aware that the teeth were out till I saw them on the tray. I went out to dinner with friends the day after they came out.

For food anything bland, soft and cold to start off with on the first day. Ice cream, yougurt etc. Then just soft for a couple days. Rice+beans, small noodles, and so on. No peanuts, corn, sunflower seeds, etc that could get stuck in the socket and irritate the hell out of you.

Can't give any skydiving advice tho...haven't jumped since.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I think it really depends on your situation.....I had mine taken out as a kid. I was under a general and spent 2 days in the hospital...mind you all 4 teeth had to be broken into 4 pieces each for removal....Dr Nick said that was sometimes necessary.....I was a hamster look alike for 2 weeks[:/]

Good luck either way. Mine come out in 17 days. A four...just like you. B|:S;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Mine came out with some others but they were never fully developed. One side swoll up some but it went away eventually. Is "swoll up" correct grammar or am I speaking my native redneck again? Apple sauce, ice cream, wendy's frostys. They're right though it's case by case...often depending on how developed they are...have they come in at all? If so ouch and I'm sorry.

edit: Oh yea...jumping. I think I waited a little while but they put some extra stuff in there that I didn't want getting messed up cause it was kind pricey.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

One side swoll up some but it went away eventually. Is "swoll up" correct grammar or am I speaking my native redneck again?

"One side got swollen." would be correct, and yes, you are speaking your native redneck... :P;):D:)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

this really isn't a good sign of things to come...I have taken two (2) 750mg vicodins and the pain from the infection is just as strong as ever!!!! I can't sleep and I have surgery in a few hours....plus, I can't drink anyting now.

I have always had a problem with pain medications...most don't seem to work on me.

Just play it by ear.Your body will let you know when it's ready.Do a hop and pop and see how it feels.As far as food eat foods that you can easily rinse out.Rinsing with a salt water solution of 1/2 teaspoon salt to 8oz.of warm water after each meal and before retiring at night will greatly speed up the healing process.Be glad that one of lives little ordeals is over. Blue Skies, Davel

well, its done...I don't remember much after they put the IV in me...in fact when they tried to wake me up I freaked a bit not knowing where I was, then I thought they were trying to wake me up in the middle of the procedure. The whole thing took about an hour.

They did a great job of working with me and my phobia...not bad for forcing my way into their schedule on a holiday weekend. I need to send them some flowers or candy.

The Dr didn't believe me at first when I told him locals didn't work on me, but as soon as I woke up I could tell him which areas he had only put in one shot.

Now I am just paranoid that everything I do will cause dry sockets.

I've been pretty much stoned all day from the Nitrous, vicodin, IV, local and valium. I wish they hade given me the meds in liquid form, that would have been much easier.

I'm sure I will look back on this post tomorrow and go huh? I can't feel most of my face or feet!

Did they give you any written directions as to what to do and not do to avoid getting dry socket?

When my son had all four of his wisdom teeth pulled over Christmas, I just told him to be careful and not suck in. Like you would on a straw. What causes the dry socket is when you suck the blood clots out. So, just don't do any sucking;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Did they give you any written directions as to what to do and not do to avoid getting dry socket?

When my son had all four of his wisdom teeth pulled over Christmas, I just told him to be careful and not suck in. Like you would on a straw. What causes the dry socket is when you suck the blood clots out. So, just don't do any sucking;)

Thanks, Mar! I usually tend to avoid sucking at all costs :P

They said no spitting, no straws, no rising for the first 24 hours. However, it takes a lot of work to get the damn horse pills down, and I have barely had any water since....haven't even tried to eat anything.

I have a commercial flight I need to take on Thursday...I can't afford any complications.

Can I tell you how happy I am to finally have them gone??? The pain right now is not as bad as the infection was on its own this morning.

no rising for the first 24 hours. However, it takes a lot of work to get the damn horse pills down, and I have barely had any water since

You can kind of wash your mouth. Just let the water fall out, it looks kind of funny, but at least you can get that blood taste out of your mouth. It's also okay to swallow some water to get the pills down.

Eat some jello or pudding. Hey, but that pain pill in the pudding and swallow that down.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

well, its done...I don't remember much after they put the IV in me...in fact when they tried to wake me up I freaked a bit not knowing where I was, then I thought they were trying to wake me up in the middle of the procedure.

AAAAAAAAck that reminds me I did wake up during my procedure. Not fun, for me or them.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

My doc said the same thing to me but i wasnt skydiving at the time ( i was racing motocross) but i was out on my bike three days after i got them pulled. My buddies did have to help me with my helmet because my cheeks were puffy, but other than that i was ok.

"Pilots without Maintainers are just pedestrians with cool jackets and sunglasses"

I've been pretty much stoned all day

Shhhhhhh!!! Didn't anybody ever teach you not to say that too loud?! :D

I have a commercial flight I need to take on Thursday...

I wouldn't worry about it...it's not like when you get a filling and there is trapped gas underneath it..you just need to prevent any bleeding from the gums. The dentist should've given you something for that...or told you how to prevent it..

Mike

AAAAAAAAck that reminds me I did wake up during my procedure. Not fun, for me or them.

I think the Doctor had a good idea he wouldn't want a big guy like me waking up in the middle of it. haha....when I went in for the checkup, he went right for my mouth with some silver stick thingy (yea, thats the professional term) and I grabbed his arm and said "whoa! hold up there, we need to have a talk!" I caught him off guard. I wonder if thats why I had to sign a waiver allowing them to use restraints if needed :$

I've been pretty much stoned all day

Shhhhhhh!!! Didn't anybody ever teach you not to say that too loud?! :D

But this is under Dr orders!!! I can get away with it!

I have a commercial flight I need to take on Thursday...

I wouldn't worry about it...it's not like when you get a filling and there is trapped gas underneath it..you just need to prevent any bleeding from the gums. The dentist should've given you something for that...or told you how to prevent it..

Mike

I will see him earlier that morning before I take my flight (my job is going to hate all this time off) on Thursday. He told me about the tea bag idea which I tried last night...it seems to work, but looks like I have two tampons hanging from my mouth....must remember to cut the strings when i am on the airplane.

For Max:
Check this out, it is basically the same thing they gave me - some really good advice on here. I am being ultra conservative...not talking in the last 24 hours, one can of slim fast and a bit of water. The jaw hurts too much to open it up to eat anything, so it will be a few days of jello, etc..
http://healthcenter.uoregon.edu/dental/impactwisdom.htm