ChasingBlueSky

Taking a Rental Car out of state???

If you tell them that you are going to stay in state, but happen to go out of state with it, can they tell?

Yes, they'll take a sample of the gasoline and determine where it was driven from the formulation. :P

The only time it would be a problem is if you got in an accident out-of-state. You might want to ask them. They can't jack the price if you say you won't go out of state. In fact, I don't think there's much of a premium to cover it anyway. I could be wrong.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Actually, it is a hassle. You get unlimited miles if you stay instate, but once you cross an imaginary line (into a state that has better insurance laws), you only get 150miles/day and about $.20/mile over that. I can't afford that.

Unless you know a rental company that allows free out of state travel.

I take rental cars out of state all the time. (drive from Memphis, TN to Mpls, MN) I've never been asked where I'm going and its non of their business either.

What company are you renting from?

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Unless you know a rental company that allows free out of state travel.

I've rented from Hertz and Budget, picking up and returning at the same location, and taken the vehicles far from the state I rented them in (FL to IL and back with the Budget car, CA to TN and back twice with Hertz vehicles). Unlimited mileage applied to all of the rentals.

The only rental car company I've rented from that restricts travel out of state on a "local" rental is Enterprise.

Some car companies can tell if you took the car out of state....for instance, Hertz can tell if it has one of those GPS navigation systems. I never knew that until I returned a car once in Denver, and the guy commented about it being such a long trip to Kansas City and back...which is exactly where I went, with many stops along the way.. I didn't use the gps nav system, though...it wasn't even turned on..

I've heard that some others use a Lojack type recovery system that they can actually track the car anytime. Supposedly, this is being fought in court by many privacy groups. As it stands now, they can only track you to within something like 100 square miles when they're doing it from their HQ...it only works like Lojack when the system is "fully activated", and ground based units are used as well.....whatever that means..

Which company is telling you that you won't have unlimited miles if you take it out of state? Which state are you picking up in, and going to? IL to FL?

I've always had good experiences with AVIS and Hertz...but they're the ones I use most because the company has accounts with both.

Mike

ell, that stinks if you live in some piss-ant tiny little state like Illinois. ;)

Think about it this way - would you rather be up front and come to an agreement now, or be on the hook for it later. This is all language in a standard contract.

Contracts can be negotiated. Let them know what state you are traveling to, and the expected distance. They'll usually work with you. At least, they've worked with me.

BTW: ALWAYS get the optional insurance. Most people's insurance may cover the vehicle damage, but not the consequentials. This means that if something happens to the car and it is out for 30 days for repairs, you'll be liable for the 39.99 oer day that it cannot be rented as consequence.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

piss-ant???? Is that a personal attack???;)

And, no, this is in FL where they have ultra-goofy rules and laws there. FL residents need to jump thru hoops to get a rental. I will be taking it to MS down I-10.

It also doesn't help that Sun N Fun is going on this weekend, prices are jacked up across most of the Tampa/Lakeland/Orlando area.

Bytch - Thanks for the Hertz and Budget pointers, I'll look at the fine print for them again - at least with Hertz I have the USPA discount!

While I know Heather and would love to, I doubt it. First off, I can't jump for another week or two due to the removal of my wisdom teeth this past Saturday.

But the nature of the trip is to go see two of my whuffo friends getting married just south of Beauregard, MS (gotta love that town name!).

Doesn't matter - seems all of them are like that.

I've looked at Hertz, Enterprise, and EZ Rental.

Check Avis, Alamo, Dollar, and Budget. I've never had any kind of in state only restriction when renting in Florida....not with any of the companies. They may be adding those restrictions to limit rentals since there will be so many people renting for Sun'n'Fun.

Mike