Mailed_Fist

Riggers - Is It A Modification?

Situation:

1988 Javelin converted to CYPRES setup but no longer contains a CYPRES unit.

Within the reserve tray there is a 1" wide tube of ZP material that is attached with double-sided tape to the bottom of the tray. Its purpose is to route, contain and protect the cutter and controller cables upwards from the CYPRES unit.

The tape is worn out and the fabric tube wants to come off - it is barely sticking to the cordura.

Question:

Is it a modification to remove this tube?

As the original modification is a Master rigger privelege, does it require a Master rigger to sign off on its removal?

You just know somebody is going to tell you that removing the Cypres channel is altering the rig's current configuration, and therefore not just a Master Rigger privilege, but one which requires approval from either Sunpath, your FSDO, or both. Why invite responses like that?

I'm going to go for "minor repair" -- you are restoring the rig to its original configuration. You probably ought to remove the processor pocket, vinyl control head sleeve, and elastic cutter sleeve while you're at it.

Mark

If the Cypres conversion was done by a Master Rigger (CSAP Rigger B or foreign equivalent), who was approved by Airtec, then the "alteration" s legitimate.

That sticky tape never was very durable. I always sew it in place with three or four hand stitches ...
E thread is strong enough.

Personal opinion...

First option: I would have a rigger do a minor repair (replace and stitch/tack the new tube down). Better for resale and/or changing your mind about putting an AAD back in.

Or

Second option: I would have a Master rigger perform the reverse alteration of removing the entire after-market prep kit. Mind you, any residue of the tape MUST be cleaned up. If too hard, I would go with option 1 above.

Of course, it your not using an AAD in the rig, and there is ABSOLUTELY NO residue from the sticky tape on the container, it might go unnoticed that the tube was missing....

Personally, I like option 1 with a new Cypres II... but that's just me.:)
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

For what it's worth, I sent a 1995 Javelin back to Sunpath to have a cypres modification done. They had run out of their usual cypres channels, and instead hand tacked in a fabric channel with a sticky back.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar