kellja2001

Choice of Handle - The Facts (Plastic vs. Freefly vs. Hackey)

I've never had a problem with my hackey handles. I just make sure the pc is secured enough that the handle won't flap around too much but I can still grab and pitch. Worked for 1250+ jumps. :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hey what was the name of the rig that had a PUD on the bellyband, yanking it pulled the ripcord pin...used a spring-loaded PC?

Wright had one back @ Sparta...in free-fall, it really looked like he was 'Pulling his Pud' :ph34r:

Like this? @4:01

This gentleman is our oldest jumper (76? may be older), he still jumps frequently, and still has that same rig. It has a belly "sausage" shaped thing to pull, with ripcord.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I had an old Rapid Transit Mirage until 2004 or so. It had a straight-up FOL pilot chute with a tube.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hey what was the name of the rig that had a PUD on the bellyband, yanking it pulled the ripcord pin...used a spring-loaded PC?

Wright had one back @ Sparta...in free-fall, it really looked like he was 'Pulling his Pud' :ph34r:

Condor

Condor

That was it...thanks Pat! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I personally prefer a round handle like a hackey or monkey-fist. I think it's easiest to wrap my hand around a sphere to throw the PC. Most of my jumps are on a UPT pilot chute with a hackey. The hackey is pretty light and it's very firmly attached, so it doesn't flop at all. It hasn't caused me any stress. It's been mentioned before, but I would definitely stopper a PVC handle if I had one to prevent the possibility, however unlikely, of getting my finger stuck. I don't have any experience with the pud-style handle.

The hackey handle for my first rig was very lightweight it seemed to me. Nothing at all like the weight of an actual hackysack..

As is my hackey handle. Certainly no heavier than a plastic tube handle.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The hackey handle for my first rig was very lightweight it seemed to me. Nothing at all like the weight of an actual hackysack..

As is my hackey handle. Certainly no heavier than a plastic tube handle.

I have a monkey fist thingie, feels heavier than a hackey sack and definitely weighs more than a plastic tube...

When it's time to change it out, I'm going back to the PVC.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I would definitely feel more comfortable with that as opposed to the others. It fits nicely in the palm of my had, and in my opinion, makes for an easier/less awkward pull. This is only based on personal speculation, considering the fact that I've only jumped a rig with the monkey fist hackey. Just considering the alternatives, that feels ideal for me.

I have, and know other that have put a finger into a plastic handle. Got it off okay but still happens.

I watched a buddy try to get the handle off his thumb for 1,000'.

Gaffers Tape. Fixed
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

including a hard-plastic skull as a hackey :ph34r:

I believe the SIM requires a D license before you can jump one.

he doesn't know what he doesn't know - :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants