skycuffs

Torn ACL

I just torn my ACL 2 weeks ago on a hot landing. I skidded in on my butt and my foot grabbed the grass. Had the MRI done and it clearly shows a torn ACL. Doc said it was complete. I see the surgeon on May 1. My question to everyone is how long did it take you to get back in the air? Has anyone continued to jump with a torn ACL without having it fixed? I torn my left ACL in August 1994 (tore everything else also) and had it reconstructed. I had a second surgery with that one in Oct to clean up scar tissue and was downhill skiing by december. When I did that one, I wasn't able to walk because of so much damage (and my foot liked to turn around backwards). This time I can walk but I have to pay attention because it likes to buckle out from under me and that hurts! Surgery has changed since my last time so I wanted to pick everyone else's brain. I'm definately getting it fixed because I really like to be active but I would like some info on other's injuries and how long it takes to get back in the air!!!!!

Completely tore my ACL in 94 and never had surgery to fix it. I was living in Japan at the time and it would have cost me a fortune. Although I didn't jump for a long time afterwards I have done 2700 jumps - with some heavy tandem landings - since then with no problem.
Good luck. I can feel your pain!!
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

I just had this done in September along with some cartilage repair. Most of my issues/pain was from the cartilage stuff. I started jumping again in March with no problems although I can't yet straighten my leg all the way. Mostly now it's a mental issue of landing without worry about tripping and hurting myself again since I tore it on a landing.

I've also known a couple people who solely tore their ACL and nothing else and were jumping a week later without surgery.

We don't know:
1 - your knee anatomy
2 - your fitness
3 - your leg strength
4 - etc

everybody is different, so you will only get personal anecdotes - some people can even do without a repair at all. Not me.

I've torn born ACLs - I have VERY good leg fitness, and the joint is slightly out of normal in that is is very prone to this type of damage

first one - mid 1990's - no way I could have jumped, the tear resulted in the knee joint totally locking up until surgery removed the torn tissue - but we did make the playoffs of that v-ball tournament :S. Locked up leg meant lots of muscle atrophy before surgery. 1st surgery to remove the block. THen hit the gym like crazy before the reconstruction about 3 months later (military doctor) BTB graft meant more repair and weakness to fix. I was younger, so still took about 6 months post recon to get in the game. And a lot longer to get over the mental caution. Great surgeon - LOUSY physical therapist in that hospital (Fort Belvoir).

second one - 2006 around Labor Day. I jumped through until surgery (Nov) in order to go to nationals and not let down the teammates. I could do deep knee bends on the single damaged joint, and it was originally misdiagnosed as a result until we saw the MRI. I wore a good sleeve. And as the season went on, I could tell that the damage was getting worse as it was beginning to get pressure and make little popping feels at times more as we went. Great surgeon (Minneapolis area), great physical therapist (Institute for Athletic 'something') this time.

if you jump on the damage, you increase your chances for arthritis later - your choice

your doctor might have an opinion - I find them to be unreasonably conservative in these things. But that make perfect sense considering their job.

it sounds to me (it likes to "buckle and it hurts") like no way you should be doing anything that remotely requires landing, cutting, running etc. You could really damage the rest of the joint (more meniscus damage, tear the tendons or even your PCL - or redamage the other knee since it'll be carrying the extra duty) Getting the surgery and the PT after ASAP sounds much better.

I'm a fan of the cadaver graft having had that and also the patella B-T-B graft and able to compare. It takes at least 6 months. The biggest issue I had with the last one (cadaver graft) was that I was very strong immediately after (full range of motion within a couple weeks, and pushing 100% strength in a couple months) and it felt like I could do a LOT very soon. But the grafts take a specific amount of time for the dead tissue to regain bloodflow, etc - so you have to take it easy even if you feel fine. Easy means don't do stuff that's not in a controlled situation. If you use gym equipment, you need gear that has stops for BOTH ends of the exercise, not just one end of the stroke - very important. You still have to exercise the shit out of it to recover. I did all the very hard stability/balancing/strength exercises, but also did them for my OTHER leg too. It helped the good leg even more IMO.

Good physical therapists are VERY hard to find. Crappy ones are everywhere. Be picky. But you will heal a fast as your personal effort allows. I worked out at LEAST 3 times a day, and the PT visits were like rest days for me. I hate to hear about people post op that don't have full range of motion within a month. They need to get it in gear and fix their bodies.

I'm not a big fan of pain medication, but I am a big fan of the anti-inflammatories to help healing. Personal preference.

Plan on post op at LEAST 6 months.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants