billvon

Funny comment on ram-air reliability

From the Incidents forum:

"I began jumping in 1965 using a cheapo and obtained a PC as soon as available. I made hundreds of jumps using my PC and the wind was not a problem if you knew how to spot. When I first jumped a square I didn't need advice on when to stay on the ground due to squirlly winds. Air foils are totally unreliable in winds over 15 MPH."

Of course back then I'm sure people were telling him "Paracommander at 100 jumps? Dude, those things'll kill ya! God knows where you'll land."

I remember being 'told' how squares would roll or fold up in various 'certain' wind conditions...luckily nobody I ever new or heard of actually encountered any of those 'special' winds.

I know several people that have had problems with Strato-Stars in certain wind conditions in which they collapsed. One of which was a gold medalist at a world parachuting championships.

I remember being 'told' how squares would roll or fold up in various 'certain' wind conditions...luckily nobody I ever new or heard of actually encountered any of those 'special' winds.

I know several people that have had problems with Strato-Stars in certain wind conditions in which they collapsed. One of which was a gold medalist at a world parachuting championships.

I knew guys that crunched in on stars & flyers trying to shoot accuracy on them, it was more a case of bad piloting than than 'certain' winds folding 'em up.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hey!
I resemble that remark!
I sprained my ankle stalling a Strato-Star into the peas.

A couple of years later, I switched to a Strato-Cloud for softer landings.

Sometimes cross-winds would push in an end-cell on my Strato-Star, but that problem disappeared when we cut cross-ports in most of the ribs.

Sometimes cross-winds would ......

stop right there - no such thing as a "cross wind" for a canopy in flight.

only on the ground

perhaps you mean a cross gust....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants