grabiarz

Gear decision - lost weight and downsized

Wanted to get some opinions here. When I started jumping I was about 220lbs and managed to get a rig that fit me at the time with a Sabre2 230. In the meantime I managed to lose a good chunk of the excess weight and am now 170lbs. My current gear has gotten too big for me and the last time I jumped it, I had the harness tightened quite a lot. The webbing was against my ribs and on opening it smacked me around a bit. Felt like a solid punch. Because of that, and other reasons (read $$$) I took some time off.

While off I started to look for new gear and, miraculously, found a great ($$$ wise) offer for gear with harness that fits me well, it's an Icon with Pilot 168. Went ahead and bought it already.

So my main point is that I'd like to get a second opinion on my new configuration and all these factors coming together:
1. Smaller me
2. Smaller gear - the ratio of my weight to canopy size is similar, maybe a tiny bit more aggressive.
3. Not jumped in a while (going to do a refresher this weekend)

Part of me thinks 'you'll be fine' but then the smarter half of my brain thinks that too many new things are at play here, hence the need for some knowledge.

I'd recommend doing your refresher on rental gear, something larger.
Since it's been a while, being conservative is good.
Since it's been a while, it's not the time to be reducing wingloading, even if it is somewhat similar to your past wingloading.

Congrats on the weight loss! Looking forward to hearing how your re-currency jump goes.

So my main point is that I'd like to get a second opinion on my new configuration and all these factors coming together:
1. Smaller me
2. Smaller gear - the ratio of my weight to canopy size is similar, maybe a tiny bit more aggressive.
3. Not jumped in a while (going to do a refresher this weekend)

Let's say that point 1 and 2 didn't apply to you, point 3 alone would dictate a step or two back in all areas of your skydiving. You'll want to take more time preparring for your jumps, jump with smaller groups than you used to, jump a larger canopy than you used to, and pull higher than before. After a handful of jumps you can work your way back to where you left off before you stopped jumping.

To take a break, and then attempt to return to jumping with a smaller canopy at a higher WL is asking for trouble. The smaller canopy will react to input faster than a larger one, and the higher WL will only make it worse.

Hi!

The Pilot is a very nice canopy, it's really flatly rigged and doesn't dive as much in a turn as a Sabre2, it also glides really far and has great openings, but the point where the flare starts working is a little lower than what you're used to with the Sabre2. The steering lines might also not be the correct lengt for you, people have different sized arms, so perfect for one person might be not so good for you. Bear that in mind while flying it the first time and do some test flares while up high.

I'm on my third Pilot, and I love them, but I did beat myself up (literally) when learning to fly my first one, that was both smaller than my previous canopy, and a different model.

Take care, and tell us how it goes!

And congratulations with the size reduction. That was quite substantial, now you'll have to wear all that weight in a weightbelt instead.;)

:D

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Thank you all for your input. Finally managed to do the refresher today. After telling the same story to my instructor, she suggested that I jump something bigger first. So I jumped my friend's rig (Safire2 189). Everything went perfectly. Feels great to be back :D

When I started jumping I was about 220lbs and managed to get a rig that fit me at the time with a Sabre2 230. In the meantime I managed to lose a good chunk of the excess weight and am now 170lbs.

That's some accomplishment, 50-lbs. Kudos!