AggieDave

Have you been surprised? (serious question)

In the short run if you exclude the rig cost tandems are better. But when you have to make an extra $5000 in about $50 chunks thats an extra 100 jumps per rig just to pay off the equipment. Now you are getting into the profit range. On AFF you hit the profit range much sooner.

I think the opportunity cost of teaching the FJC course has to be considered in the equation. Figure 6 hours burned for $100 per student. Mine had 2 and the guy was unavailable to take any tandems out until 2pm. How much that costs depends of course on what your limiting factor is - customers, planes, or JMs. Certainly by delaying it until jump 3 you eliminate teaching most people that would not finish the student program.

Tandems are promoted since not everyone wants to spend the 8 hours in ground class for one jump. America is a society of pay now play now people that hate to wait on anything and want to do it all now.

True, but not really a "good" reason for the practice. You can learn to scuba dive in a weekend, but most end up being crappy unfinished divers who can't go out alone yet.

The best reasons look to be the lower overall costs at some DZs and the hands on canopy training it allows.

Just food for thought here...
Lets say someone has 400 jumps with 300 of those done in the last 2 months. 170 of those coaching jumps with one of the top flyers in the world. It isn't always about jump numbers, but also about the quality of those jumps. There is something to be learned from every skydiver. One just has to be open to it.
B~Squared

Of course you are right ...but it's not where the smart money goes ;) It's not so much about numbers but about time.

It's like working a patient in the Trauma room. When the shit hits the fan, I want old, experienced dogs there evaluating and making decisions to keep this person alive. The noobs (including your 400 jump wonder) know the rules and have skills. What they do not know are the countless exceptions to the rules.

Having said that, this is a forum where opinion is everything (hey, it's a bonfire!). I think anyone is entitled to say what they choose ...and be able to take the responses without copping an attitude.

BSBD,

Michael