ForeverDive

Hard Opening - Line Dump Lesson Learned

So this weekend I was getting slammed consistantely every singe jump. I am extremely sore this week with some very nasty buises. After I couldn't take it anymore and vowed to figure this out. I started trouble shooting with another jumper, and after going through eliminating the usual causes such as nose placement, slider stops, body position, and slider quartering. We came to the conclusion that my miny rubber bands where not holding my brand new micro lines. LINE DUMP!

Therefore, the fix is to double stow all of the lines with miny bands. My next three openings where smooth as silk. It was so beautifull to be able to solve this problem, and to be able to enjoy openins again.

;)

Are you talking about the non-locking stows, or both locking and non-locking?

Even the mini bands weren't appropriately tight?

I sure wouldn't want to have to double stow the small bands. That is a lot of wear and tear on the hands, and really shouldn't be needed.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The other option is to increase the length of the stows, rather than to double stow them.

That said, I would rather have a baglock that a aorta-ripping slammer.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Line dump is a myth.

Now if the canopy is coming out of the bag before the lines are at stretch, that can be a major problem, but it's called "bag strip".

i agree, ive been told as long as it doesnt come out of the bag before line extension then it wont really be the cause of a slammer.

look at the lazy bags, and other 2 stow or freebag designs that work fine.
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.

Line dump is a myth.

Now if the canopy is coming out of the bag before the lines are at stretch, that can be a major problem, but it's called "bag strip".

+1

Plenty of 'freestow' bags out there to prove it too.

Long as that 1 locking stow stays in place until line stretch, you're golden.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Are you talking about the non-locking stows, or both locking and non-locking?

Even the mini bands weren't appropriately tight?

I sure wouldn't want to have to double stow the small bands. That is a lot of wear and tear on the hands, and really shouldn't be needed.

Yeah, I'm sure it only matters with with the locking stows. I was using large bands and weaving them in and out to make them smaller. That apparently was the wrong idea, because I was feeling no snatch force at opening. I felt nothing and then WHAM. As soon I started double stowing my lines, I felt the lines unstowing and then a controled opening.

Wheather it's called line dump or bag strip. I'm sure my canopy was inflating before I had line stretch. It was evident since my risers had slack in them for a fraction of a second.

I admit, double stowing miny bands is problably overkill, and my fingers are very sore from the weekend. However, the resulting opening were awesome, and differnece in openings was dramatic.

Also, I was ready for bag lock, although I don't think rubber bands could cause bag lock by them selves. They would break first.

Wheather it's called line dump or bag strip. I'm sure my canopy was inflating before I had line stretch.

You are saying that your locking stows were also very loose, correct? Now they're also appropriately tight, correct?

I don't think rubber bands could cause bag lock by them selves. They would break first.

Don't count on that, others have reported bag logs where the rubber bands did not break.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Wheather it's called line dump or bag strip. I'm sure my canopy was inflating before I had line stretch.

You are saying that your locking stows were also very loose, correct? Now they're also appropriately tight, correct?

Well, I should emphesize that my lines are brand new, and my method for stowing lines had worked in the past with older lines. So, Yes I say my stowes were too loose for the slick new lines.

I don't think rubber bands could cause bag lock by them selves. They would break first.

Don't count on that, others have reported bag logs where the rubber bands did not break.

Dully Noted

Also, I was ready for bag lock, although I don't think rubber bands could cause bag lock by them selves. They would break first.

Rubber bands can hold a bag locked. It just takes the right conditions.

Single stowed mini bands with appropriately sized, neat bights is all you need.

What do you do to be "ready for a bag lock"? Do you want to do that for all the rest of your jumps?

Equip the bag correctly, and close it properly, and you won't need to wonder.