ChrisL

I dont give a crap

I dont give a crap if there are unused icons on my desktop, so shut the hell up about it, and NO I DONT WANT TO TAKE A #$%# TOUR!!!>:(>:(>:(

This is why I'm a UNIX guy B|

bwhahahahhahahhahahaha!!! easy! eaaasy! back away from the keyboard. time for a coffee break.

breathe, ChrisL, breathe!

:D:D:D

This is why I'm a UNIX guy

Fortunately UNIX has updated the old MS-DOS stuff from CD back-slash to CD forward-slash. :D That was such an improvement. :ph34r::)

Hate to burst your bubble but it was the other way around.
UNIX has been around since 1969.
DOS didnt show up till 1980. I'm afraid that UNIX took exacly nothing from DOS.
What the hell kind of master of the universe doesnt know that?? :S
__

My mighty steed

Master of the Universe is like any other head-of-state. I don't need to know everything, I just need to know someone who does and make sure that they do it. You can be in charge of geek-trivia. ;) Of course, that includes Star Trek, so the responsibilites vary. Do you speak Klingon? :ph34r:

My duties are largely ceremonial anyway. I travel the world promoting a positive outlook. Perception is reality. :)

Feel free to offer any financial support to my political aspirations. B|

Actually, when I started, Jacquard computers were on the cover of DataPro magazine. They were competing against the Franklin Eagles, Toshibas, TRS, and Exxon Office Systems.

The Jacquard system had them beat hands down because it was a 16-bit 128K machine vs the other 8-bit 64K machines. Better OS (never crashed), standard or custom OS install. You could decide what stayed resident. A standard database application before DbaseII came out. Full screen editor. Full screen addressability.

It had a 48-meg disk before the Winchester technology came out. Others were using 128K floppies.

Then, 3M bought them out, put no money into research and down the tubes it went. The company disappeared along with my software development time investment.

My first exposure to UNIX was a Molecular system in 1980. Each user had a 64K board so there was no performance degradation for each additional user.

My last UNIX box was in '98, HP T700 running 2G memory and 8 100mips processors. With memory leaks, it still got dragged to its knees.

Actually, when I started, Jacquard computers were on the cover of DataPro magazine. They were competing against the Franklin Eagles, Toshibas, TRS, and Exxon Office Systems.

The Jacquard system had them beat hands down because it was a 16-bit 128K machine vs the other 8-bit 64K machines. Better OS (never crashed), standard or custom OS install. You could decide what stayed resident. A standard database application before DbaseII came out. Full screen editor. Full screen addressability.

It had a 48-meg disk before the Winchester technology came out. Others were using 128K floppies.

Then, 3M bought them out, put no money into research and down the tubes it went. The company disappeared along with my software development time investment.

My first exposure to UNIX was a Molecular system in 1980. Each user had a 64K board so there was no performance degradation for each additional user.

My last UNIX box was in '98, HP T700 running 2G memory and 8 100mips processors. With memory leaks, it still got dragged to its knees.

Man! And you called ME a geek B|
I'll bet that Molecular system with the 64k board didnt yammer on about unused icons, now did it? ;)
__

My mighty steed

Man! And you called ME a geek

:D :D I agree with you on the "make your money there" thing. When I was in college, I was a math/finance major. I found out what math professors make, dropped finance, and changed to computers.

A lot of people who work in computers let it become part of their identity. If I could find something that paid better, I'd do it. The exceptions are preaching, lawyers, politics, and used cars. I'm too moral for those. ;) Geeks think computers are some kind of religion. It's cash to me.

A lot of my job now is to get 2 dozen techie prima-donnas into a conference room and get them to agree to do what I want. It's like babysitting a bunch of tired kids. :D