diablopilot

Motorcycle Freaks! Hit me with your best stuff....

See how nice I am to you ? And after you say all those nasty things about me ?

Ok, I'll take back 10% of all the bad things I said.

I only meant about half of it anyway.

See?! Now you net 40%! Isn't that great?!
:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

As a former XJ owner myself, the best contact on the web is an email list see:

http://www.micapeak.com/lists/xj-owners

There used to be a website at:

www.xjowners.com

but that site is dead. If you join the mail list, there were always friendly helpful people there. Maybe they can direct you to where the site is now.

Al

Besides MSF class (which isn't a suggestion, it's a commandment), I'd strongly suggest getting a mesh jacket. Because that way it won't be too hot to wear it. It's astounding how much more likely I am to wear that in the 95 degree heat than my nice leather one.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The MSF is a must for anyone without riding experience - I really wish they had an intermediate class for people who knew how to ride well enough to breeze through the first day at the range but wanted to work on some of the trickier skills - but who were not quite ready for the Experienced Rider Course - I found I kept losing my patience sitting behind with the folk who were scared to take the bikes above 15 mph.

Anyways, the must reads prior to the course - even if you don't take the course, these are the must reads - Dave Hough's two books Proficient Motorcyling and More Proficient Motorcycling - I've heard a few comments that it was his articles WAY back in the day that were the foundation for alot of what is taught in the theory part of the MSF Basic. Read those books and you'll realize how much they gloss over due to time constraints in the classroom.
Picked up Twist of the Wrist and found it ok, but more geared for the track, little for use on the street - in comparison to Proficient Motorcycling which focuses on all the things that can and do kill riders.

Nelson Rigg - not too pleased with thier stuff - the saddle backs started coming apart after 6 weeks and the way the straps hook to the tail bag could be ALOT better.

Site to buy things:

www.newenough.com
By far the standard for customer service that all others are (or should be) judged by.

If you want to go for the high end in synthetic riding gear:
http://www.motoport.com/
Not cheap (since alot of it is made custom to measure) - but you get the protection equivilent to leather and alot more comfy in warm weather.

Dave Hough's two books Proficient Motorcyling

I just read that book and gave it to another friend who just bought a bike as well. READ IT! It has a lot of stuff that's very important (well, except for the side car crap:P).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."