SpeedRacer

anyone have Windows XP??

....Event Type: Error
Event Source: ACPI ....
....ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range...

ACPI is the interface used between the power management features in windows and the motherboard power controls in the BIOS. Whenever you go into standby or hibernate modes, or use the shutdown or reboot options in the startmenu, you are using ACPI. In this case the bios is trying to talk on a IO port that winXP has locked down.
Flashing the bios may indeed be your only option. However sometimes the BIOS has it's own power controls which operate independantly of the operating system, and may even conflict. Go to the BIOS by pressing DELETE key repeatedly at startup - when the screen is telling you about memory and CPU speed etc, usually the first thing that appears when you switch on. Go to the Power management section (don't change anything else) and disable APM or set APM controlled by OS (or whatever - different bios' will have different options). Windows APCI can operate quite happily without the bios APM.
If you have to flash the bios, make absolutely sure that you have the correct one for your particular board and that it is actually newer than your present one. Try running this:
Click Me
to give you the BIOS number, date, possible manufacturer and more. Make a note of what it says and head over to:
http://www.wimsbios.com/
to identify your board model and manufacturer.
Then go to the website of the manufacturer and find their support section. They will have bios updates listed and usually a list of the things that that update actually fixed. Get the one for your exact model and check the release date. If it is the same or older than what you've already got then there is no point in updating.

BIGGEST HINT.. look for WHICH BIOS you have... look when your computer is first booting up.. and go to the website for that company.. you need to get whatever company made your BIOS/MOTHERBOARD combination you have and FLASH the BIOS with the update.

yeah, I tried that. I got: NVIDIA VANTA LT VGA BIOS
Version 2.05.20.02.00 NVidiaCorp.

So I went to the NVidia website, and found out that they make all this video/graphics software. So now I'm wondering, is there a BIOS for the video card in my PC, that is separate from the BIOS for the motherboard?:S If that is true, then I don't wanna get the update from NVidia, because that is probably just the video card BIOS, not the motherboard. I have no idea who made my motherboard.:S

or am I completely full of it here??:S:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Hey speed, here's a great tool. It's in beta, but I have used past releases and they have worked well. I use the beta right now when I have to diagnose client machines of unkown origin. Get it here.

If that doesn't work (which I'm 95% certain it will), just pop the cover off of your cpu case. Usually the manufacturer and model number are pasted right on the mb.

Just be careful with the bios upgrade, if something goes wrong or if you use the wrong image the damage CAN be irreversible and fatal. Good luck.

Matt
A well-informed person is somebody who has the same views and opinions as yours.

Yeah.. you're right about the video bios, it's not what you want to upgrade.

Hmmmm.. is this a branded computer or a custom built? If it's branded (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc....) go to the manufacturer's website and do a search in their support section based on your PC model.

If it's a custom built, you MAY need to know the motherboard manufacturer since BIOS'es can be motherboard specific. IF you want to post your PC model and name, I'll see if I can find it for ya.

Lastly, it is entirely possible that you will not be able to flash the BIOS to a newer version.
Side note, someone made a comment about ALL PC's being able to turn off by holding the button. Technically they're wrong. Only ATX form factor PC's will do that which have been around since Pentium 2's. Most pc's will work, just wanted to clarify that ;)
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Lastly, it is entirely possible that you will not be able to flash the BIOS to a newer version.
Side note, someone made a comment about ALL PC's being able to turn off by holding the button. Technically they're wrong. Only ATX form factor PC's will do that which have been around since Pentium 2's. Most pc's will work, just wanted to clarify that ;)

Thanks Lummy. I forgot all about the older AT power supplies, I rarely see them these days. In any case, the power switch on the case with an AT supply is a relay connected directly to the PSU and pushing it will kill the power immeadiately. With ATX PSU's the power button is really just a switchable jumper which closes 2 pins on the board. You switch on the machine by shorting the pins (ditto the reset), I done this with a screwdriver a few times.
In general, if your PC is less than 8 years old or there-abouts, it shouldn't be an issue.

yeah, I tried that. I got: NVIDIA VANTA LT VGA BIOS
Version 2.05.20.02.00 NVidiaCorp.

Yes this is the bios string for your Video Card. Not relevant. It's the next bit you are interested in. If all you get is some corporate logo, try holding the DELETE key when this comes up.