Acensky

I hate School ( rant)

Its not that I hate school in general, I kind of like it. But I hate how they make you decide what you want to do. I have changed my mind so many time what I want to do. First I wanted to be a nurse and the school that I am attending does not offer a degree just pre-reqs. At my pace it would take me forever to get out of here. So I have changed it to Earth Science, some of the classes are the same and I love the outdoors. It is only 70 credits. Not that hard right??[:/] I am so confused.

I was just wondering what some of your jobs are, and how you decided you wanted to do that. I
Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.

Well, I sort of have the same problem as you, except, after 4 years of the same major...I am confused what I want to do and still have at least a year left of my present major...so, I am taking some time away from school...even though I think I have decided what I want to do...I want to be sure this time and make a fresh start at a new school and a new community...

AND that was the best decision, concerning school, that I have made in a long time!B|

Don't worry, keep experimenting with new classes and maybe get some experience outside of school...

~R+R:)...Everyone has been there...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

I am Illinos State's oldest junior (26)! Hooray for me! B|

I worked for a bit before attending university and it's important to realize that you don't necessarily HAVE to see your degree as locking you into a certain career. Having a formal e-ju-ma-cation opens doors later on in life for you to make the changes in your life that you feel are necessary.

One of my friends graduated from Southerin Illinois with a degree in zoology. Yeah, he designs web sites now. :D He wouldn't have been hired by his IT company if he didn't have that degree, though. :S
It's fucked up, yeah, but it's a hoop you have to jump through! (too bad they're not flaming hoops, that would be cool)

I'm getting a degree in PoliSci. Am I going into politics? No. Do I like to get into arguments and bullshit other people? Yes! :P
I would really like to be a fireman, but completing university will give me greater flexibility should I decide to pursue something else later on...

...and the chicks at ISU are really hot, too;)

----------------------------------
Successfully avoiding adult responsibility since 1978!

Why not concentrate on what you want to do, then seek the education to do it? Some vocations merely require the parchment to demonstrate that you can complete something, while others require the actual education to do the job. Knock it out while you are young... you'll enjoy life much more.

No matter how good she looks, someone, somewhere is
sick of her shit!

kinda in the same situation. some times it seems like i will never get my degree, so i just want to hurry and finish to get my father off my back. but then, when i do get my degree, i don't know what the hell i want to do w/ it. i seem to like working at the dz more than going to school. . . .

i guess i just have to wait and see, then make my decision when i graduate.

like you, i have no clue what i want to do w/ my life.

I was just wondering what some of your jobs are, and how you decided you wanted to do that

wel i['m an airplane mechanic in the air force.... if i had it to do over agian i probly would of ended up going to school instead of the military.... but who knows... can't really go back and change the past so i'm not really stressingover it.. i do kinda wish i could of jhad the whole college experiance, but i never will as even if i went to school now you wouldn't find meliving in a dorm and taking the gen ed requirments as i've laready got those done...... and if you want to be a nurse (my mon is one) go for it, find a diffrent school and "git er done"..... no use doing something you don't really want to do right now, when you could be doing something you dod want to be doing.. as i'v found in life.. don't settle for what is good enough right now that will work for a while, take the extra exffort and do what will be good for a long long time...... ......

I was just wondering what some of your jobs are, and how you decided you wanted to do that. I

The piece of paper you get when you finish is what really matters. Go for it if you know exactly what you want to do, but if not, just enjoy your time in school, get something well rounded and graduate.

My degree (music performance) is about as worthless as they come, especially since the last time I performed was in my graduation recital, but the diploma is what has counted for me.

Meet people, make connections. Can't stress that enough. Regardless of your degree, if you can get your foot in the door (most easily done with a personal connection to what you want to do) and work your ass off than I feel like you can do just about anything you want.

I have a wonderful career in special event planning, but decided that I want to take a break from it to try something else, so right now I'm looking for a position with AmeriCorps volunteering with a marine biologist to see what that is like. I might just love it and change my career, or might go running back to NYC to get back into my original career. Who knows, but I feel like the options are endless and it's up to me and how hard I'm willing to work to figure out which direction I will go.
Killing threads since 2004.

I was planning to be a nurse, but even though I like health care fields, I made myself think that is what i wanted. After Changing my major to Music ( my first love) I convinced myself that there is nothing out there for a music major. So now I have changed it to Earth science in hopes I can do something with SCUBA I have always loved rocks and fossils and stuff like that. Ya never know, I will probly change my mind tomorrow, to something completely different., who knows?
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one out there like this. I might just take this year off and work ( somewhere):P

Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.

So now I have changed it to Earth science in hopes I can do something with SCUBA I have always loved rocks and fossils and stuff like that.

I'm right there with you. Music was my passion, but unfortunately when I realized it wasn't for me longterm I was halfway through a degree at a music conservatory with nothing more than a freshman english requirement as far as academics go. If changing majors hadn't meant starting from scratch with a full academic curriculum at a new school I probably would have done so.

I love the career that I have started, but I've also always loved being out in nature, love scuba, etc. I left my job and the city I love to move to the Florida Keys for a volunteer job working with a marine biologist on a high school marine studies program. Sadly the funding fell through, but I'm looking for a similar position now and in the meantime I've started learning to skydive (maybe not the best use of savings, but damn it's fun!). My feeling is that if you are willing to work hard (such as spending a year making no money while volunteering in order to get your foot in the door) you will be able to go in pretty much any direction that you want.

Good luck with everything that you decide to do. As long as you graduate with something you already have a major step accomplished.
Killing threads since 2004.

I've been in your situation too. I started as a psychology major and then realized you had to have mucho school time to really do anything with a psych degree.I ended up dropping out for a full academic year,ruining my GPA in the process. I finally came back and changed my major to Criminal Justice.So after 1 1/2-2 yrs in this major, here I am sitting in the dorms of a university ranked 3rd in the nation for CJ majors. I'm feeling kinda old in a dorm full of 17-20yr olds even though I'm only 22.As hard as it may be, I'm actually looking into another 3yrs of school so I can double major in CJ and Psych.

It just takes time to really look at what you want to do with your life.If all else fails, just take a few classes you think you'd enjoy learning.Who knows? that might lead you to the right field/major for you.It worked for me.:)
Good luck!

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."