wildcard451

Gaston leaves a mark on Central VA

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/HTMLPage/RTD_HTMLPage&c=HTMLPage&cid=1031777632837

That is just a sampling of what happened to Richmond yesterday as Gaston parked over us for a few hours and delivered 11" of rain to the downtown area. At one point, there was a 15 foot deep river where a parking lot once was. Many roads are washed out, I-95 and I-64 were closed for hours in both directions, and at the height of it, I believe 80,000+ were without power.
About 50 of my classmates that are on rotations with me lost their cars to the flood[:/]. I was lucky enough to get to mine and move it when there was only 5" of moving water going under it.:S As another friend put it, SUVs were floating around like bumper cars. :S
Last I heard noone had lost their life, and hopefully that is still true. I do know there we were without power in one wing of our hospital because our emergency generators were completely submerged:S All in all a rather messed up day, but just figured I would share.

Sorry to say, but I've heard the death toll is up to five.

My husband works up by the airport and we live in Williamsburg. He took Rt. 60 home instead of 64 and it took him almost an hour and a half, but he made it. He works with someone who lives in Shockoe Bottom (for those not familiar, this area was the worst hit, with reports of up to ten feet of water in places). He lives on the second floor, so we think his apartment was okay, hopefully, but he was pretty much writing off his car at 9:30 last night when there was seven feet of water outside his apartment. We still haven't heard from him this morning to see how it turned out. I feel for you guys! We got a tree on our house during Isabel, and I'm just really glad I don't live in Richmond right about now! :S

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

One of those times I am glad to NOT be stationed at Ft. Bragg!

We didn't get anything really. Sunday was a wash for jumping due to winds and all day/night rain showers. Other than that it was just another day here in Fayette Nam
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Right now I would be real concerned with where the hell big bad motherfucker Hurricane Frances is gonna take her 140 mph or higher winds in the next few days. She has the potential to "outdo" Charley, less than a month later, to boot...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yeah, after my roommate and I went to survey the damage, he politely pointed out that we still have the rapture coming in the form of Frances if it makes is way t up here still rolling. We can't take another hit like this downtown or it will all float away. I do however worry for my friends in Fl, for I fear they will have to deal with much more than we will see.