Douva

Guess what's been knocking over my paint cans....

For the last week I've noticed that whenever I go down to my garage, the stack of spray paint cans in the corner is knocked over. After restacking the cans several times and establishing that the movement of the garage door wasn't knocking them over, I assumed I must have a rat living in the garage. Tonight when I pulled up and opened my garage door, there looking back at me was a BIG friggin possum. My first instinct was to shoot him because generally when confronted with a possum problem, I'm somewhere like a cousin's farm or the drop zone where that would be an acceptable response. I'm not used to encountering wildlife in my garage. But then I remembered that I'm living in a city apartment complex, so now I have to come up with another alternative. I may just let him spend the night and deal with him tomorrow when the neighbors are all away. Chasing a possum around my garage has the potential to get quite noisy. I think I'm going to crack the garage door in case he wants to leave on his own. I don't know if he chose to move into the big pile of junk in the corner or if he was forced to after getting trapped while exploring. If he doesn't leave on his own, I guess I'll either purchase a live trap or call animal control. Possums are nasty little creatures with lots of tiny razor sharp teeth and less than perfect hygiene. If I find a nest of baby possums down there, I'm going to go Sigourney Weaver and just napalm the whole building.

--Douva
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Hi D,
What ya' do is trap it and feed it corn meal for a couple of weeks. Then kill it and cook it (roast possum and sweet 'taters) and have some friends over for dinner and tell 'em it's pork!!!!!!They'll never know the difference!!:ph34r::D:D:D:D
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi D,
What ya' do is trap it and feed it corn meal for a couple of weeks. Then kill it and cook it (roast possum and sweet 'taters) and have some friends over for dinner and tell 'em it's pork!!!!!!They'll never know the difference!!:ph34r::D:D:D:D

Well I rekon that might work ifen Granny and Uncle Jed hadn't gone up to the mountains to visit the kinfolk. Fact is, I just ain't no good at buldoggen possums, and Elly May won't help me onna count of she caught me peeking at her swimming in the cement pond in her birthday suit.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

get a super soaker and fill it half and half of Bleach and water and spray around your area. and if that don't work wait for the critter and spray it with the stuff, if that doesn't work use Ammonia and water with the same half and half thing. It will make your garage smell for a bit. But would you rather have a odd smell or the critter??
Hope this helps

Hi D,

I've never eaten a marsupial. Are they good?

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Hi D,

I've never eaten a marsupial. Are they good?

-

You lot are talking about an Opossum arn't you??
They are not Possums as we antipodeans know them.
Our Possums are cute:)>:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hmm... if the half bleach half water doesn't work, and the half ammonia half water doesn't work either, I bet I could double the effectiveness by using half bleach, half ammonia... right? :ph34r:

I kid.... I swear, I kid! ;)

Elvisio "what's that weird smell? Ugh... (sound of elvisio collapsing to the floor)" Rodriguez

Possums tend to have several "hide-hole" spots. Defensive positions that they back into when confronted. I hope one isn't somewhere in your garage (like under some shelves).

If you have garbage cans in your garage, that is the interest. Spraying the bleach around the garage entrance will make the garage smell unappetizing.

Call your local animal control department. Many cities have a trapping program for possums. You pick up the trap, bait it with cat food or something similar, and when its "full" they come and get it and release the critter into the wild.

Hey Douva!!

I have access to a whole roll of primer-cord, put that across the entrance of the garage, when he crosses the line hit the clacker, no more possum problem and no more neighbors to annoy:P

"The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one" - rehmwa

Put a radio in the garrage and leave it on with the lights on for a few nights. the noise and light will make it move on its own. Carefull, they can be rabies vectors and have some nasty other parisites.
Do not take chanses with rabies, if you are bitten or scratched, go get the shots and try to bring the dead animal in for testing.
They are good eatin though.

~Cindy~
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Spelling and grammar errors are left as an exercise for the reader.

Want me to bring a live trap to the dz this weekend for you??;) Or of course there is always the sub-sonic .22 method. All your neighbors will hear is nothing.;):D

I used to have some subsonic .22 rounds, but they're really not much more powerful than a pellet gun. I don't feel like chasing the varmint around for an hour pumping pellets into its ass. I'll let you know about the trap.