FlyingJ

Computer crashed...HELP!

How old is your laptop?
the older ones(especially toshibas) have an adapter that the hardrive is plugged into and are surrounded by a housing. If you were to order the drive from the manufacturer they will over charge you. It is still just a standard laptop hard drive with the housing. You can dismantle the housing and reuse it with a standard new drive.

yup that is exactly what I was talking about.

Great!

Now, assuming I find this thing, should I be able to read the laptop drive w/ Win2k on a desktop with WinXP?

If I can just get a few files off, I'll then consider trying to salvage the drive itself. For the moment I just want to get my resume off as I don't have time between now and an interview on Friday morning to rewrite it.

that shouldn't be a problem WinXp uses NTFS. You probably won't be able to read all of the info on the drive. Chances are that you will be able to at least get your resume.

It is a Dell Latitude

Oh, in that case, please re-read weegegirl's post above.

Isn't there someone you knoiw that has W2k? All you need is the CD, as that is the boot disk. If you can boot the computer from the CD, chances are pretty good that you could fix the problems.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

It is a Dell Latitude

Isn't there someone you knoiw that has W2k? All you need is the CD, as that is the boot disk. If you can boot the computer from the CD, chances are pretty good that you could fix the problems.

the more times that you boot up that laptop with the bad drive in it the more the drive will be damaged. You really need to leave the computer off till you get a converter and get the info off the drive as soon as possible.

Ha! Thanks Rev.

Isn't there someone you knoiw that has W2k?

Well, in NYC where I just moved from yes. Here in Atlanta, no. You'd think with the half dozen computers amongst my family someone would have had Win2K, but nope, everyone jumped straight from 98 to XP, or is still using 98.

For the moment I'm just leaving the thing off and we'll see what happens if I can find a converter.
Killing threads since 2004.

Well, looks like I'll have to go come Comp(lete rip off)USA for the converter. None of the other stores in my area have it, and the guy I talked to there said they carry them.

Said they run $7 to $8 to sounds pretty inline with what you all thought.

We'll see what happens!
Killing threads since 2004.