BillyVance

Advertisement?

This was a little tough to figure where it should go - BF or SC, but what the hell...

Anybody notice the full page advertisement on the back cover of Skydiving Magazine, November 2004 issue?

How about the moronic statement at the bottom: "Parachutes de France does not sell its products in the United States".

Honestly, how stupid is that? An ad in a U.S. published magazine advertising products from another country that won't sell here?? Am I going to buy anything from them when we have a whole lot more products more superior to theirs and made right here in the good old United States of America, leader of the free world?

There's nothing but idiots over in France!!

Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Wow...

Did you ever think that Skydiving is by far the most international paper we have in this sport? Maybe PdF is advertizing for the rest of the world? You know... there is skydiving outside of the US....

Yeah, that's true... still, the statement strikes me as somewhat indignant.

So all I can say now is... PdF? Big whoop... We have PD, PA, and AR, to name a few... :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It's probably a continuance of the old political battle over the French's stonewalling of the U.S. decisions in the war on terror, then the Americans' decision not to buy any French product and renaming French Fries "Freedom Fries" to name a few...

Lawsuits... yeah way too many of them. The trial lawyers have all gone ape shit. The challenge these days is to get through life without once getting sued! :S

The trial lawyers have all gone ape shit. The challenge these days is to get through life without once getting sued!

And one way for a parachute manufacturer to do that is not to sell gear in the US, where they probably can't compete anyway. So what's the problem?

Dave

It's probably a continuance of the old political battle over the French's stonewalling of the U.S. decisions in the war on terror,

Actually it's not. They have a) Never sold gear in the USA, and b) have been putting that tag line on their adds for many years.

I thin PdF gear is pretty shwag, but I had to point out the facts.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

And one way for a parachute manufacturer to do that is not to sell gear in the US, where they probably can't compete anyway. So what's the problem?

Dave

Okay, I admit it, I can't stand the French. :P

It's wishful thinking to have Skydiving Magazine print two versions - international (w/ad), and domestic (no ad). If someone has the money to buy ad space, they can... it's a free country here in the U.S.A. And we are also free to bitch about things we don't like... :P

Billy

It's probably a continuance of the old political battle over the French's stonewalling of the U.S. decisions in the war on terror,

Actually it's not. They have a) Never sold gear in the USA, and b) have been putting that tag line on their adds for many years.

I thin PdF gear is pretty shwag, but I had to point out the facts.

Uh huh.

Need I actually point out the real fact, and probably a big reason for this gear not being sold in the USA?

It's not TSOd.
Nor do they plan on meeting those requirements.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I was under the understanding that they don't sell in the US due to the TSO? Not sure of the details,not able to get it or don't want to.

In defense of their container, it is a well built rig with some nice features.

I believe they are the ones that make the "Fandango" main canopy. Maybe not the best name for a canopy in the US market anyway??

I believe they are the ones that make the "Fandango" main canopy.

Nope. Maybe you're thinking of the Springo? (Stiletto like canopy, but with a steeper flight angle)

And the reson they dont sell in the US is, as stated, that they dont want lawsuits. PdF is part of a very large corporation with deep pockets (the same corp owns the Zodiac inflatable boat brand).
Remster

Nope. Maybe you're thinking of the Springo? (Stiletto like canopy, but with a steeper flight angle)

Ok hep me out I saw a French man last weekend with a Fandango. Who makes it???

Oh yes PdF has very deep pockets. I believe that SD equipment is a very small part of their business.

Blues

And the reson they dont sell in the US is, as stated, that they dont want lawsuits. PdF is part of a very large corporation with deep pockets (the same corp owns the Zodiac inflatable boat brand).

If the pockets are that deep, why are the sport rigs TSOd, and not the Tandem?

JP caught me off guard and I felt the need to read about my mistake. Odd that probably the most expensive piece of equipment, and the one most likely to stir up lawsuits, is the only one not rated.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Because its JSO'd. In Europe the TSO can also be issued by the local aviation authority.

PdF has ran that ad about every 6 months of at least 2 years now. They have HUGE pockets if someone goes after their parent corp. More money then RWS, PD, PA, AR, and the entire skydiving industry here in America has total. Most of PdF's designs are military and sport gear is an after thought. With tens or hundreds of millions of $ at stake I don't blame them for selling gear to a sue happy culture.

Last I knew a lot of their tandem rigs were restricted in where they could be used.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com