Faber

Family values

Posting on behalf on my sister.I hope this can be talked about in Bonfire as i dont see the need of posting it in Speakerscorner,however i do understand if it will be removed to speakerscorner.

Hi everyone

I study at a Danish University, and due to my education I´m making a report about changing family values. In that connection I found “The Way We Never Were” by Stephanie Coontz, a professor specializing in family history at Evergreen State College.
As family historian Coontz was concerned that the debate about the changing family values in America were based on misconceptions about the past. By exposing many “memories” of traditional family life as myth, Coontz hoped to point the discussion of family change and family policy in a more constructive direction. Coontz wanted to show that families have always been in flux, and often in crisis (Coontz 2000).
In this book Coontz tears apart all of the myths about what families are, used to be, and ought to be.
My questions to all of you are; what do you think about changing family values? Can you blame society’s problems for instance poverty at the family? Do you see changing family values as negative or positive?
Then another point I would like to debate is an article from a Danish newspaper. In this article it is described how Americans researchers (Stanley Kurtz from “The Hoover Institute”) have used Scandinavian researcher’s results as documentation for why homosexuals can’t be married; that would undermine the marriage and the family.
But those statements are taking out from its context. It’s true that more than half of the children in Denmark are born outside marriage and it’s true that gays and lesbians live together. But those two things have nothing to do with each other.
(http://urbanavis.dk/article.php?id=2485) - The Danish article.
I would like to hear your opinion; do you believe that the family and marriage will be undermined when gay and lesbian are married? And if so why?

Please think before you post,i dont want a fight from this,cheers:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hi Faber

Family value's:)
IMO Tough subject, Every family has it's own values, than there's the myth portrayed on T.V. shows like leave it to beever, Ozzie and harriet, the Honey Mooners, etc. These shows always showed man work women wear dress stay home take car of kids and clean house, funny women some spousal abuse.

I think what's changed family values in some family's is the desire to have the nicest home that a couple can afford. So both parents have to work. Dads/moms can't afford to stay home with children while theirgrowing up.

Television hasn't helped, kids home alone a lot more violence and other bad stuff on T.V.

The gay thing? well we have a 50% divorce rate in the US & Domestic violence for various reasons. I think the gay population has the same problems staying together as the hetro's.

What defines our "Family values" the politicians, the church, T.V. for the parents of each family.

No reason to fight over this subject just a adult exchange of ideas. I've given my opinion and will read the rest. Really I will ....I will try really:|

One of the things that I think have eroded family values is corporal punishment. A parent should be able to spank their kid without fear of a child abuse charge.

I think the advent of dual-working parents is a factor too, but I won't get into that as some might misconstrue it as "sexist" even though that is not my mindset.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I think there are as many theories about family values as there are families. This is an extremely varied topic. I believe family values are influenced by religion, money, morality, respect (or lack of), society and the media, influence by peers and many other factors. I think homosexual families face a lot of the same things (although they receive more pressure from many sources).

As each individual is unique, I believe each family is unique.

Best of luck to your sister,

Thanks to all of you for the answers. I´m Faber´s sister. I have some questions I hope someone of you will help with.

I would like to hear a little more about the TV shows "leave it to beaver and Ozzie and harriet. The book I have read points out the TV-shows.
Can anyone of you explain how you look at the shows;is it just for fun or do you see it as a real familieform in the 1950s? Would you wish to go back to such a family form, if it really existed? (I have never heard of the tvshows before and I have therefore never seen it, so I don´t know much about it !)

Shows like Leave it to Beaver don't represent the way families lived. It is total fiction. I mean the men always wore suits around the house. I wasn't alive back then but I really don't think men lived in their suits.

IMHO people are missing the point of family values. To me family values means that you value and care about your family. Everything else is just semantics.

-----
Love the moment, and the energy of that moment will spread beyond all boundaries. - Corita Kent

Shows like Leave it to Beaver don't represent the way families lived. It is total fiction. I mean the men always wore suits around the house. I wasn't alive back then but I really don't think men lived in their suits.

IMHO people are missing the point of family values. To me family values means that you value and care about your family. Everything else is just semantics.

The Bill Cosby family show was pretty realistic, but no family ever looks that perfect. Too good to be true.

Now, Al Bundy's "Married... With Children" is a favorite of mine... The more dysfunctional, the better! :D

Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yes, I think married with children had it pretty close. I remember an online survey a while back that asked what TV family was most like theirs. The winner of the survey was the Simpsons.

-----
Love the moment, and the energy of that moment will spread beyond all boundaries. - Corita Kent