freeheelbillie

Pricing Question...a "good deal?"

I am looking at a rig (my 1st) and I was hoping to get some ideas if what I am looking at is a good deal. Also, hoping that I could get some advice on reasonable counter offers.

The rig is;

Mirage G4 (DOM 2002) w/ a PD reserve, no rides, fresh repack 3 months ago, cypress with new bats, 5 years left. It looks like a new rig. Asking price is 3,050.00

Main; Spectre 190 (DOM 1992) 600 jumps, new lines
Asking 600.00

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks! ;)
Gently pushing comfort zones since 1976...

I'm not going to touch the valuation since there are many people more qualified to answer that. But it brings up a few more questions you should know the answers to in valuing the rig.

DOM 2002

Relevant, but not the most important thing to note - how many jumps on the gear? If it's got 2000 jumps it's going to be a different value than a closet queen that someone only put 100 jumps on.

fresh repack 3 months ago

Not something to factor into the value of the rig since you should have your own rigger inspect the full system before finalizing the purchase, and that involves popping the reserve. (In other words, don't think "oh, I have a half a repack cycle left so that's worth $X").

w/ a PD reserve

Is it an appropriate size for you? Remember it's not just the main size you have to consider.

Edited to add: do you know roughly what size person the rig was sized for? This will help to determine whether it's a good deal for you or whether you'll have to get modifications to make it fit you comfortably and safely.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I should have mentioned inspected as well.

Of course, every repack should be an Inspection & Repack.

However, I'd still strongly recommend getting it inspected independently by a rigger. Personally, unless I knew and trusted both the jumper selling the gear and the rigger who most recently inspected/repacked it, I'd be unlikely to buy something mid-repack without getting it fully inspected by my own rigger. At 19 jumps, you probably haven't established those trusted relationships yet (unless you've been involved in the sport for a while in some other way).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

What else would you need and I ll get it.

Miage G4, m4 - 200 jumps -(DOM 2002) PD 176 reserve no rides (dom 2002) as well. 5 years left on cypres has fresh bats.

working out the main issue (thanks for the heads up by the way) hes looking into it.

Thanks,

Billie
Gently pushing comfort zones since 1976...

The owner is the same size as me, within a few pounds.

That's only relevant if the owner also has 20 jumps, like you do. Not the best plan to load your first reserve over about 1.0 sq ft/pound of body weight - in this case, that'd mean you not weighing more than about 175 pounds. Think about how fun it's going to be to land it at sunset, into a backyard, on a street, all after enjoying your first cutaway. Now think about how much fun that would be on your next jump...

with gear on you are how many pounds??? My rig is almost 20lbs.

It sounds like your very excited about this deal, however, slow down.

Look into every little thing, the harness, the main, the reserve (have your rigger look at it), jump numbers. If you can get the serial numbers to everything, YOU can get the answers as far as manufacture date and any mods/repairs that were done.

Take the time to do it right, or else you might spend wayyyyy too much money buying a piece of crap rig.

I know I'm still a young jumper within the sport, but the common sense applies. you wouldn't buy a car without taking it for a test drive, would you? ;)

Good luck!!!