FlyingJ

Panama City, Fl - need advice!

I just found out that I was chosen for an AmeriCorps volunteer position with Florida State Parks and will be based in Panama City. I start on Jan. 3rd and will probably need to move in shortly after Christmas.

So...who's from Panama City or knows the area, etc.???

I'll be living on a very modest housing stipend so of utmost importance will be finding an affordable place to live. Over the winter I'll be there for 3 or so weeks per month, but come spring I'll be off working/camping in the various parks throughout Florida for upwards of two or three weeks per month, so I'm certainly not looking for anything special. Just a place to call home a couple weeks a month.

I literally just had this confirmed to me a few minutes ago so I've done no research yet, but hints as to what neighborhoods to look in, etc. would be a really great headstart as I'm going to have to act quickly.

After I do the basic things like find a place to live I'll get to the important stuff like finding out who jumps where around there!

Thanks in advance for the advice!!!
Killing threads since 2004.

Good to hear. Nope - definitely not looking for anything beachfront, etc. It's gonna be all about keeping things cheap.

The cheaper the place, the better the chance of being able to make at least a few jumps per month!

You could always rent a storage locker and put a bed and a porta-potty into it :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ahhh...Panama City...one time when I was there a club called La Vela and another one called Spinnakers banned me for life. I went back a couple months and then a year later and was still not allowed back inside the establishments. It's been about ten years now...I wonder if they've forgotten...ahhhhh....to be 19/20 again...

There should be plenty of housing available for you dude. PC is a good place.

:P
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

PC Beach is my home away from home! I'm a beach bum though, I know the beach area like the back of my hand. Off of the beach is a little fuzzy for me though. Are you looking for something in Panama City or in PC Beach. They are two different cities actually. I know people that live off of the beach in PCB, so I can find out some info for you (affordable) if you're looking for something west of the bridge (which isn't that far from the city). If you are looking for something in town I probably can't help a lot.

But anyway PCB rocks!!! I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could find work there. Definitely hit La Vela and Spinnaker's while you're there. If you want to know any of the good food places, let me know, there's plenty.

Oh, BTW, the scuba diving there is usually pretty good too. If you get a chance, try to dive the old Hathaway bridge span. It's pretty cool.

Very cool. That's one thing I'm most excited about. My scuba gear has only gotten wet once since I moved here about 5 months ago, so I'm dying to get back under the water!

Thanks again to everyone that posted and sent me messages with advice regarding Panama City.

I'm happy to say I signed a lease on a great little apartment right near the beach. For those that know the area I'm just over a mile from the end of Thomas drive on the far East end of the beach. Three blocks in one direction to the beach and two blocks in the other direction to Grand Lagoon. My new job is based in St. Andrews State Park so I'll even be able to ride my bike to work.

Randomly drove past the place and saw guys working so we stopped to ask if they would be renting. The guy that just bought it and fixed it up happens to be a skydiver. Hasn't made a jump in 5 years or so since he became a pilot, but said that he'd love to get back out to a dropzone.

Thanks again!