NightJumper

Skydiver dies from gear alteration, DZ.commer faces criminal charges! (HYPOTHETICAL)

you can't protect people from their own stuipity...

Ditto.......anybody who takes advice here at pure face value and does not discuss those potential equipment changes with a 'body' face to face that they know is qualified......shouldnt be skydiving.

Limit 'opinions' and 'advice' on these forums to the limited , qualified few who are without question qualified to answer any 'cyber' question on skydiving that may come through........and these forums will suddenly become a very lonely place.
[:/]

you can't protect people from their own stuipity...

Yeah...And it's a bit of a hypothetical stretch.

I know it's a law suit happy society, but
an advise taker on a forum like this would
be hard pressed to truly show someone
else, (he doesn't even know) to be liable
for something like that.

In Illinois...
The family of some kid killed in an auto crash,
tried to sue the 'speed shop' that "told" the kid
how to set up his car to go faster than stock.

...not only did the family lose, they had to pay
costs & damages for even BRINGING the suit.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

there is no perfect answer for every type of jumper.

I call them "magic words." I may not be getting through to a student, having tried more than one way of training them on a particular task. 99% of the time it has nothing to do with my skill as a teacher, nor the student's ability to learn. I simply don't have that student's "magic words."

The key is to be professional enough to pass this student on to another instructor that they may "connect" with better, and find the perfect explanation that I was unable to make land for them.

After all, it's all about responsibly fostering another fledgling into the sport, to ultimately see them find their own sense of freedom in our beloved blue skies. When I stand there, instead of making it all about my instructor ego, it makes teaching that much more rewarding.
Arrive Safely

John

So many times I have told people to "make an informed decision." Read the manual, scour the manufacturer's website, talk to several experienced professionals, read articles in the skydiving mags, visit a manufacturer, attend seminars conducted by professionals in the industry, invest some money in professional training.

Gather information so that you as an individual skydiver are making your own informed decision, based on your experience level, physical attributes, jumping environment, personal goals, dreams, etc.

Giving advice here carries the same message: "have an informed opinion." Do your homework. Be sure of what you are saying. If it turns out you were not quite correct despite the best of intentions, follow-up to correct yourself and make sure the recipient gets the correct information.

All of us should take the time to find out about who we are taking advice from. There is a lot of very good information posted on this website, but it's your life on the line. Take the time to investigate the accuracy of the advice you get.
Arrive Safely

John

So b/c Joe blow on dz.com says that John Public should mod his gear and Joe Blow is such a stupid fuck to not have a rigger do it, that puts John at fault how? Maybe emotionally yes, but your hypothetical case would drop kicked out of court or never even get there b/c the laywers are smart to realize its a very weak case.

You may be right, you may not, it may be defensible and they "probably" as lawrocket said would not prosecute you, but do you want to be on the wrong side of that “probably”? Do have the time and money to fight it when you can just avoid it up front?