dropzonefool

high performance canopies/reasons for cutaways

HI all, just wondering with all of us jumping high wing loadings, what was the reasons for your cutaways? If I have left out something please post the reason for your cutaways. I would like to here from jumpers loading above 1.5/1 or jumping less than 150 square ft. canopies. If you post please give us the details.......where, when, why, and what you have learned. Lets make this educational:)

My first was a linetwist. I was jumping a Sabre2 150 loaded at 1.6/1. I cutaway at 1,800 ft. because I could not un-twist it, I tried. It was on my 450 th. jump at the AOTMB in 2002. I believe it was my right riser trapped under the corner of my packed reserve that caused an unstable deployment......leading to line twist. I have since switched to slinkes;)

Ok I'll start. ~900 jumps w/ no main malfunction, yet. Hooked up main to new risers and the toggle keepers were fairly loose. I decided to jump it anyway.

One of the toggles came unstowed upon opening, and away we go. I was spinning at a high rate of speed on my back and inducing line twists. Cutaway, took a delay and an had an uneventful opening reserve.

The very next jump, I hooked the main back up to my old risers and go figure, as I'm pulling the slider down I unstow one toggle. Since this is a wee parachute, it starts spinning me fast again. Fortunately I could just unstow the opposite toggle and everything's gravy again. I take extreme caution now every time I pull the slider down my risers ;).

The main parachute is a vx60 loaded at 2.1:1

OK ..... Heatwave 150 - Loaded at 1.35 (enough said). Very good 2-Way with my skydiving mentor, 4000ft tracked off till 3000ft. Good stable clean pull.

As the bag left the container I could tell something was up, linetwists induced before inflation of canopy.

When canopy was inflated, I was on my back spinning, tried to kick out, but it just resulted in another line twist. 1500ft was my hard deck, hit the handle, rotated onto my belly, and watched as I fell past my mentor (they were under canopy) .... looked down at club and hit the silver.

280 odd jumps .... 100 or so on that canopy.

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

On jump #498, I had a premature brake fire which resulted in a nasty spinning unrecoverable linetwisted Crossfire2 139 canopy loaded at about 1.5:1 (it was likely a rushed pack job as I was trying to do my 500th on the sunset load at last years Eloy Holiday boogie which obviously never happened that day). Lessons learned? It can and will happen to me and make sure that my brakes are properly set before completing my pack job.

Now for an unrelated comment ... Moab Rocks!!! :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I've had two cutaways on ellipticals.

On a Heatwave, around jump #120, I chopped it due to spinning line twists caused by not leaving enough line between the riser and the last stow on the bag. I felt the bag bump into the container on deployment. I voted spinner for this one.

The cutaway after that (and my last cutaway to date) was at the AOT boogie in '03. My Stiletto shredded a cell on opening, popped two lines, and the slider melted from the friction caused by the extremely fast opening.

So I voted "other" for that last one.:P
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

two spinners so far

1st one stiletto 120, wl 1.5-1
exited at 1800' took a 3 sec delay, bag came out of the container spinning, I knew I was low so I was looking over my shoulder at the spinning bag.... probably dropped a shoulder and made things worse, cutaway and under reserve around 1k

2nd one icarus fx-85 wl 2-1
threw at 3k, hard opening, followed by a stall, and a dive to the right that my body couldnt follow, cutaway and under reserve at 1500'

hmmm, what have I learned?
1) dont exit low\
2) practicing my emergency procedures several times on the ride to altitude every jump is a good thing.
3) the warning panel on the canopy is right......:P

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.