bocabruce1

Student Rig Question

I am on AFF Level V. My first jumps were with a Manta 230. My last jump was a Nav 240. I didnt like the way the rig fit and felt, but I jumped it anyways. Then when I flared there was a line knot (we guess) on the left side and wouldnt flare all the way. I dont want to fly this rig again, is it ok to say no?
bocabruce

I am on AFF Level V. My first jumps were with a Manta 230. My last jump was a Nav 240. I didnt like the way the rig fit and felt, but I jumped it anyways. Then when I flared there was a line knot (we guess) on the left side and wouldnt flare all the way. I dont want to fly this rig again, is it ok to say no?

Yes. But when you do so, be prepared to wait your turn if someone else is already about to use that particular rig. Let them know you want that rig up front, so that they can schedule things accordingly, without any last minute surprises.

i got used to one that i liked, and used it through all levels of aff. i felt that i had enough going on without getting used to a new parachute on those jumps. i just did what the last poster suggested about letting my instructor know that i preferred a particular rig, and it worked out great.

i feel like it's important to feel as safe and as comfortable as possible up there, so if i can control this one variable, it's to my benefit.

good luck!
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

Did you do your controlability check? That should have identified the problem before you got to the ground since a controlability check includes a left 360, right 360 and practice flare.

If you did your controlability check and everything checked out of did you take your hands out of the toggles for some reason? What caused the line knot?

You would have a tough time convincing me that Lake Wales would force you to use a rig that you were not comfortable with.

Just let them know.

Oh, and one other thing...
Your instructors are there for YOU. Your job is to ask them the questions and tell them about ANYTHING that concerns you. You may have heard it..."The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked."
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239