Hipwrddude

Hikers List and Microsoft Anti Spyware

I just thought I'd share a winter backpacking list I created for a group of us who hike the Appalachian Trail and other wilderness areas.
Also, for those who may not be aware, Microsoft has launched their own anti-spyware software to detach the leeches of the internet from your pc. I've used anti spyware by others (Lavasoft's AdAware being my previous favority) but when I ran Microsoft's I swear I heard that can of whoop ass go to work! http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx Cheers!

You're always the starter in your own life!

Its not truely beta. MS bought a company in Dec that had fully fuctioning software, they rebranded it in Jan as their own and labled it as Beta since they do not have a new rewrite done yet.

MS was trying to buy Ad-Aware for a while but this other deal went through first. It would have been interesting to see your reaction if MS just rebranded Ad-Aware as their product. Going to complain that its a Beta even though it was working perfectly as the old company?

The thing I like... It puts out new Spyware files at least once a day if not more often and autoupdates.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've just started using the MS-spyware program. found one file modified 2 times Ad-Aware never found. Pretty happy with it so far..

My ONLY complaint was the fact I had to Validate my copy of WinXP ... I was able to DL and install SP2 and all the updates and I've never once been asked to supply my software key ever. But oh well a small price to pay for just another level of insecure, security :ph34r:

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

IF the modify the code base at all, I don't care who it USED to be.

Second, daily updates sound good...BUT one of my problem with M$ is not slow updates, it is rather hasty halfbaked ones. So that does not do much for me.

Third, I am not validating my XP copy, I am tired of meddling, etc. I download the deutsche version of MWP to avoid the same thing :)

Fourth, I use Spybot and HiJackThis with VERY good results. And I fully trust their disclosure policies. I am not changing a working formula. Especially to someone that I trust to give me the details.

Just my .02
It is their O/S that makes the spyware possible remember?
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

You don' t need to validate, you can download it from any computer.

It works well and so far it's working better than all the others. It runs itself and to the regular user that's perfect.

Spybot is marginal. Hijack this takes too much knowledge for the average consumer.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

You don' t need to validate, you can download it from any computer.

It works well and so far it's working better than all the others. It runs itself and to the regular user that's perfect.

Spybot is marginal. Hijack this takes too much knowledge for the average consumer.

Well the website pops up and told me I had to validate my winxp before I could download it. I did it.. oh well. It's not like I'm pirating this copy of WinXP onto any other machines.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

If you click "Do not Validate" is still downloads ;)

And the only thing they changed is the InstallWizard. I change those all the time here and it does'nt alter the codebase one bit. The program still runs in the background as "GIANTAntiSpyware". Oh, and they changed it from a pay network to a free one. Giant was extremely successful, but very little known about because they charged a monthly fee for their product.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com