Slappie

What is EPIC?

Pretty BORING infomercial.

You really think it was an "infomercial"? I know it's pretty farfetched but still a possibility in the future. Would you like to know all your news and media is controled by some search engine? Or worse Micro$haft!?

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

That would make it SO easy to perpetuate a virtual 'War of the Worlds' and freak out EVERYONE.

How is that? I don't see it was freaking people out, I saw it as an eye opener in a way to control what I read, and watch.. SBC and Time Warner are already duking it out here in my market for control of the media. TV, Phone and Movies on demand. Kind of the same scenario if you ask me.

He who controls what people watch & read will control everything..

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

He who controls what people watch & read will control everything..

That's right, and that is dangerous, and requires some entity that has enough integrity to put human kind before their own profits. In my very humble opinion, media control is one of, if not the highest form of power.

I'll give you an example...how do you know there is a war in Iraq right now? How much of your information has come first hand from soldiers that were in/are in the field? I'll tell ya, not a bunch for me. Probably 1/100th of a percent of the information that my mind has absorbed about the war in Iraq has come straight from the mouths/keyboards of soldiers actually involved. The rest came from the media, which to some extent is filtered by the government...

What if just any yahoo could type anything about what was happening in Iraq? What if they told you that we just nuked the entire middle east, and a deadly nerve gas had already been introduced into the atmosphere above the western half of the US and that we all needed to eat cranberries to counter the effects?? Aye, we'd have a mess, wouldn't we? Do ya think some people would believe it? Some would say, 'Bullshit!'?? Some would say, "Better safe than sorry, pick up a jug of Ocean Spray's best on your way home from work, hon"??? Do you think store shelves would clear of all cranberry products from those believers and those 'Better safe than sorry' people? ESPECIALLY after the 'paid' media got wind of it and reported that some people were reporting that cranberries were needed to counter this threat...blah, blah, blah...

So anyhoo, if anyone can find some altruistic, benevolant entity to show us the truth about what happens beyond 1/2 mile from our homes or offices, then and only then will we be an informed world. -Just IMHO, and I am NOT intending to slam the press or the government at all with this statement; just showing you what a monstrous game of telephone and some punks' evil shenanigans >:(:ph34r: could do with a tool such as that.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

You really think it was an "infomercial"?

In a certain way I can interprete that as an "infomercial", I mean, all those "trademarks" and "brand names" and the "possibilities", to me it looks like that.

You really think it was an "infomercial"?

In a certain way I can interprete that as an "infomercial", I mean, all those "trademarks" and "brand names" and the "possibilities", to me it looks like that.

I see your point, I viewed it as a possible view into the future. Just what the makers wanted. Yes it used brand names, becasue those brands are what we all know. Then they twisted it into a future I wouldn't want to be part of.... But an infomercial, naw I don't agree. Wasn't trying to "sell" you any of those products they were there because it was telling a forboding story that included those trademarks.

If you would have seen a flash short based on the same premise.. say back in 1995 that suggested Chrysler and Mercedes would become one and Jaguar and Ford would be merged in the future? I know I would have laughed at the ideas. They happened though.

I know my anology isn't the same. But what I'm trying to say is it's not the trademarks, there but a tool the producer is using to make the short more understandable to the "non-geek" hell even a computer illiterate knows those trademarks.

Wasn't trying to "sell" you any of those products

Well, I can take it as a "subliminal" sale, I mean "wouldn't be cool if" kinda thing, I know this approach is also far fetch, but so is the nature of the clip.

Wasn't trying to "sell" you any of those products

Well, I can take it as a "subliminal" sale, I mean "wouldn't be cool if" kinda thing, I know this approach is also far fetch, but so is the nature of the clip.

The "what'ifs" were scary to me more then making me what to see that happen. What if M$ was able to start controling what we see, hear or read? Wouldn't you be a bit unerved about all that? So even subliminaly trying to sell something.. not to me.

The "what'ifs" were scary to me more then making me what to see that happen. What if M$ was able to start controling what we see, hear or read? Wouldn't you be a bit unerved about all that? So even subliminaly trying to sell something.. not to me.

Not necessarily seeing those "what ifs" makes me nervous, I mean, let me refresh your recollection, remember AOL+WARNER oh yeah..HUGE!!!....and allow me to borrow a VH1 tv-show title WHERE ARE THEY NOW? :D.

To true to the AOL-WARNER merger. But that's not gone well. More of a Step Brother and Sister not getting along, but still getting an allowance from the parents.

Still not an "infomercial" :P:P the object of the short wasn't to sell you anything. Now your own paranoia may be seeing things that aren't there. :P:D That I can't convince you is wrong.

To true to the AOL-WARNER merger. But that's not gone well. More of a Step Brother and Sister not getting along, but still getting an allowance from the parents.

Still not an "infomercial" :P:P the object of the short wasn't to sell you anything. Now your own paranoia may be seeing things that aren't there. :P:D That I can't convince you is wrong.

I just used the term "infomercial" because it has that look, now, I don't have any paranoia, I was just trying to response using the same parameters on the clip: "what if"+"conspiracy"+"some other boring stuff" :D:D:P

So - Slappie - been polishing up that tinfoil hat of yours again?:ph34r:

:D:D WTF man I've patented it!! Wanna buy one?

Google already controls approx 70% of the search engine traffic on the web. If you want hits to get to your webpage you design it per Google's specs or it ends up on page 20 of the results instead of in the top 10.

Not even Microsoft can touch Google for search engines.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Google already controls approx 70% of the search engine traffic on the web. If you want hits to get to your webpage you design it per Google's specs or it ends up on page 20 of the results instead of in the top 10.

Not even Microsoft can touch Google for search engines.

Yea I knew that. Still messed up... what could happen.

So - Slappie - been polishing up that tinfoil hat of yours again?
-------------------------------------------------------
WTF man I've patented it!! Wanna buy one?

I need one for the cat. If the aliens could read her mind, the world would be doomed.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!