Ion01

New rig help....

I am looking into getting my first rig. I weigh 190 so would a 190 sqft canopy be too small for someone with 28 jumps?
I know all the consult your instructor stuff.....I am just looking for what the general suggestion is for a first rig.
I know that it is suggested that wingloading of 1 for new jumpers but is there that much difference than say 1 and 1.1? Thats about what I would be jumping with the 190 sqft plus the gear.
General thoughts please.

imo a 210 would be more suitable for a new jumper of your weight. Of course I have am still loaded at 1.0 but I love my canopy and still have a ton to learn about flying it. I have taken 2 canopy courses and both times I was amazed at what I didn't know. If you weigh 190 thats about 215 out the door so with a 190 you would be at a 1:1.13

check this out: http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf according to this guy (who may actually know a thing or two about parachutes) you should have about 180 jumps before you even jump a 190.

good luck ;)

"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

fyi on jump 134 I got in a pretty serious landing accident, totally due to pilot error. Without getting detailed I did not break anything but I was knocked out and the paramedics were called but I walked away. I was off for 6 weeks and came back with a healthy respect for the sport. I also know under a much smaller canopy I might have died, I got very lucky according to those that saw it.

Keep in mind its much easier to learn and experiment on a canopy you are completely comfortable flying, I have demo'd a couple of 150s and just did not feel totally safe. But with my 170 I have excellent landings, even at night, only reason for me to downsize at this point is my ego (lol which got crushed when I ran into the packing tent with my wife watching...lol her 2nd time at the dz) that particular accident happend the day before I actually registered for this website (suddenly had alot of free time!), its also how I got my username, I was being cocky trying to show off for my wife and got laid out for all to see!

cya...
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

I am looking into getting my first rig. I weigh 190 so would a 190 sqft canopy be too small for someone with 28 jumps?

Yes.

190 pounds + 25-30 pounds = 215-220.

I know all the consult your instructor stuff.....I am just looking for what the general suggestion is for a first rig.
I know that it is suggested that wingloading of 1 for new jumpers but is there that much difference than say 1 and 1.1?

Mostly once things start going wrong, which is why a 190 might make a nice second canopy at 150 jumps.

Read Brian Germain's chart. Follow it.

Thanks guys! That chart is great! It wasn't so much that I wanted to go small its just that would open up more option for purchase.... but I am not going to put my safety at risk for more purchase option. I can be patient. I figured I would get some good info and have. Thanks again! Its really appreciated.

Thanks guys! That chart is great! It wasn't so much that I wanted to go small its just that would open up more option for purchase.... but I am not going to put my safety at risk for more purchase option. I can be patient. I figured I would get some good info and have. Thanks again! Its really appreciated.

So they are hard to find? Then how easy do you think it will be to sell when you get your secound canopy?;) Your being smart by going with a 210! Play it safe now so you live to jump many more years. You will learn alot on your first canopy. Enjoy it!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

As someone who has sold a Spectre 230 and a Pilot 210 on the used market (and will have another Pilot 210 for sale within a few weeks), I can say that they're not that tough to sell, especially if you're willing to be patient. I think it took me a month to sell the Spectre and two weeks to sell the Pilot, both for within $50 of my asking price. If I'd been willing to take more aggressive offers, I could have sold both faster (but I didn't need the cash that quickly so I was willing to wait).

The Spectre really held its value, BTW. I bought it used with 450 jumps and a new lineset for $850; sold it 2 years later with 200 more jumps for $800.

Make the safe choice - you'll be able to sell your canopy. (And if you're willing to wait about a month for a Pilot 210 with about 500 jumps and a brand-new lineset, PM me. ;))

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

If you are looking to order brand new container and am wondering what size to make it, then a 190 is a good figure. You could go one size up and down in it probably with no issues. I recommend you look for a used canopy or see if anyone at your DZ will let you jump their canopy ( if a spare). Then look at the demo program that exists. This could help you know if the 190/210 is where you should be for a while or not.