joeybob9

Flying advice

Im not sure if this is a place to post, but i suppose its a start. I want to get into flying. Ive done a few jumps, but have gained a new found motivation to fly. I talked to a pilot who told me about his training and planes and everything and I want to get into it. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or reccommendations. I live in the central florida area. Are there any good places to go? Specific instructors? Im just looking for single engine, nothing crazy, but I want to fly. Im looking for the most economically feasible way. Im a student who works full time and rough it enough to try and jump here and there. I know overall its not cheap, but I want to try jumping into this. I would appreciate any feed back and all feed back. If your an instructor or pilot and give lessons, let me know. Thank you ahead for anyone who responds.

"When once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." ~da Vinci

I'm not an instructor - yet, but I am well on my way. I could probably give ya plenty of advise so if ya want to, feel free to email me [email protected] I got my private license last summer, and my instrument rating a couple of months ago and now I am working on commercial. I also work at the local flight school, so I'm sure I could help you with any questions/concerns about what flight school or instructor to pick.
Good luck,
Eric
--------------------------------------------------------
"Just follow your heart, that's what I do."
-Napolean Dynamite

The way to start is to hop in the car or whatever means of transportaion is available and visit the nearest small airport with a flight school... I know of a good school in Lantana, but that's more south than central... any school will do, though.

(If I were in your shoes, I'd find a school that operates a tailwheel aircraft- they're just as easy to learn on, and once you know how to fly a tailwheel, nosewheel control is a no brainer... or no- footer, as the case may be.)

Once you find a school, and like what you see there, arrange for an intro flight. It costs $60 or so and you'll get all the hands on flying your instructor is comfortable with. After that it's only a matter of scheduling your next lesson...

When all is said and done and signed, it will cost approximately $6000 to go from pedestrian to pilot. This will cover aircraft time based on course completion in close to minimum time, instructor time, and groundschool. (Btw, I work in Canadian dollars, so values given may need adjustment)

One word of advice that I will give is: When you do begin training, know that you will have the time to fly at least three times a week. Otherwise it's pointless... going a week or two between lessons makes both lessons a waste of time and money. Finish the license in a minimum timeframe, and you will finish in minimum time (flight-hours wise). And don't be afraid to ask silly questions... you'll have to learn the answers somehow, and learning the hard way in flying sucks.

Best of luck to you...

All of the advice is good. I've been a pilot for 6 yrs but only been jumping for 1. I find there are 2 main problems with doing both:

1) Having enough time and cash to stay current in both.

2) The problem of whether to get a jumpship rating or not. I can see this ending in getting roped into spending days flying jumpers to altitude when I would rather be jumping.

I know very few people in the UK that do both!

Any other jumper/pilots got any comments on this?

I did my private (Single engine land) this summer together with two friends. The one of us who finished first did his checkride with 40.1 hours flight time (40.0 needed) and payed a total of about $ 4200.-- including checkride fees and all the material. We used a Cessna 152, a Cessna learning kit with DVDs and went to the flight school nearly every day. The overal time was 2.5 months.
Some other students financed themselves through being a "ramp rat", which means that they worked at the flight school (cleaning planes, helping with whatever was needed).
It took me a little bit longer as I used my weekends for jumping instead of flying.
You should - like someone mentioned before - at least fly 2-3 times a week in order to not waste time and money.
Have fun,
M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

Hi JB,
So you want to fly, eh?? Got lots of rabbit food, (i.e. CA$H!!)!!! Now, in spite of what anyone else tells you, there are only two types of airplanes, Trikes and Taildraggers!!! If youare going to learnhowto fly an airplane, get your first and I mean first lessons in a taildragger like a J-3 Cub, Aeronca 7AC Champ or the like. A T-cart (Taylorcraft) or Luscombe ain't bad either. Then when you transition to nosewheel planes, no problem!! Try it the other way and I guarantee a fun time!! (Pun intended!)

I learned to fly a 7AC Aeronca Champ at Hammond Airport La. in the summer opf '62 two years before I made my first jump. Didn't get my Private till some years later (that's another story) but I'm really glad I learned in the taildragger!! Those initial skills are priceless and you never forget them!! (at least I didn't) Some 18 years after I took my first lessons, I got my Private and found another Champ to fly, no problem. So, have fun, fly, jump, do both and support a bank in the process!!!

P.S. 6 to 8 hours max till your first supervised solo flight then some solo pattern work and on to cross country's. Any instructor whodoesn't cut you loose within 10 hrs. of dual time to get you solo'ed is milking you for $$$$$!!! I've talked to more students who had 20 to 30 hours of dual time under their belt and hadn't even been around the patch in the puddlejumper by themselves once!!! They say things like,"My instructor said there is plenty of time later to solo!!" and things like that. The turkeys had no clue!! Well, good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

yeah just make sure you fly (or try to) a couple times a week. if you don't, you won't retain as much information and it may take you longer and cost you more money than expected.

i go to ohio university for aviation so im on a flight schedule 3 times a week. if you're already at school maybe you could change your major! that'll be a bit costly though.

im working on my commercial rating right now...we pay an advanced amount of money before starting the course (private, instrument, commercial..ect) i think it's easier this way, so you can get on the schedule whenever you want, not just the 3 times a week you're already given.
but if you're just looking for your private pilot license i'd just hit up the nearest airport (smaller maybe better)
good luck and i hope it all works out for you!!:)

~boogie ho!!
pull before impact!
L.A.S.T#14, PMS #309, Ci EL O DI O SA

I was looking up the different schools online and am gong to visit embry riddle. You go to Ohio for aviation, do you like it? Or does anyone have any advice about embry? Like I said, I live in Orlando, so its only 40 minutes to school. Im in the middle of my second year or third year or something like that and not really declared in the major world. Im really interested in aviation and business, so Im thinking of pursuing an aviation degree in business or something. Thank you everyone who has helped out so far...

"When once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." ~da Vinci

Don't be a Riddle-Diddle. I will never hire another one of these ever again. Every last one of the ER grads I've hired had more erogance than skill and didn't last long at my flight school.

Find a good local flight school that isn't filled with timebuilders and do your training there. You'll save money and get better training.

Im not looking to go there to be the best of the best by anymeans. I figured that since Im a student and Im able to take advantage of financial aid while I can, go for it. Do other just flight schools offer financial aid programs like embry or any other college for that matter would? Thats my biggest issue...Money. If you teach at a school and I can get some good aid there... ill buy you a case and Ill let you jump out of my plane anytime..haha

If you want to fly....then start NOW! Don't be one of those that always say "I'm gonna......"

Get in a car and find a flight school near your home and take a lesson.

When you land plan another lesson.

You can shop around the area for a less expensive school if money is the major issue.

I drove past a 141 school for a part 61 school since the 141 was more expensive.

The FAA requires:
Requirements for Private Pilot 40 Hours Minimum
Dual: 20 hours minimum
3 hours cross-country training
3 hours night
1 night cross-country at least one hundred nautical miles total distance and 2 hours total time.
10 takeoffs and landings to a full stop.
3 hours instrument
3 hours of flight training within 60 days before the test in preparation for the practical exam
Solo: 10 hours minimum
5 hours cross-country
1 cross-country total distance of 150 nautical miles with 3 stops minimum
3 landings to a full stop at a filed with an operating control tower

Cost info here 5,725.00: http://www.clearwaterairpark.com/School/PrivPrice.htm

I paid nowhere near that.

If you are average sized use the Cessna 150/152. It will cost less, and you will still be flying.

The most important thing to do is go now.

Do you have any medical problems? Ia sk casue if you do, you migth want to start your medical process NOW.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

ERAU is NOT a cheap option.

Might want to look into the Sport Pilot certificate. It's brand new... not sure you can even get the license yet, but if not, it'll be possible very soon and you can start the training now.

Much easier requirements than the private license or even the recreational license.

Probably the cheapest way to get you in the air now.

Dave