J-Rock

Anyone ever made their own round canopy?

Has anyone out there ever made there own round canopy at home? If so was it a success or failure? I found a couple of posts where people had built their own squares from kits or for BASE jumping but I cant find anything for rounds. I have always had a fascination with round canopies and thought it might be a fun learning experience to build one myself. I own 4 rounds and a 3 canopy tertiary rig so I might do some round cutaways this summer since I have never jumped one before. I know it will be a huge undertaking and will require a lot sewing but I like to sew and am wanting some kind of project for this next winter when Im bored to tears. I was just thinking of building a 24' tri-vent conical, maybe use one of my rounds as an example as I go along. Im also guessing a block constructed canopy is easier to put together then a bias constructed canopy? If anyone out there has any personal knowledge or experience Id like to here your opinion and Im sure Ill have plenty of people asking why and I guess I really dont have an answer, just looking to build something and learn a lot in the process.

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

I own 4 rounds

Learn twice as much - unstitch one of them and rebuild it or use it as the template/pattern for building a new one.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Sure, I have made a bunch of parachutes for research projects, but not for humans to jump. If you think "test drop" rather than "test jump", then people won't look at you like you are crazy.

http://www.pcprg.com/testdrop.htm

If you have a side door plane like a Caravan or Otter you give the DZO a few extra bucks for a low pass, and you can use static line deployment without much risk having anything near the tail. (Be careful anyway and get some advice from someone who knows about S/L.)

You can create a load out of something like a milk crate and weights, and then the parachute can be a smaller scale model and easier to make.

Sweet website Gary, I had thought about making a smaller, scaled down version and then attach it to a load and static line it out of the plane. My DZO has done a lot of testing over the years so Im sure he will help me through the process or even do a low pass to chuck it out of the plane. Thanks for the help!

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....