Girlfalldown

I want an IPOD or something similar! Which one should I get?

Check this out:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1164842&CatId=1699

FYI, I will be selling my Dell Jukebox so I can purchase that one.

You just can't beat this feature list:
Plays up to 600 hours of digital music*
20GB of internal storage†
Large, vivid color display
Ultra-fast USB 2.0 transfers
Supports secure transfers from Windows Media Player™**
Rechargeable battery lasts up to 16hrs
View JPEG or BMP images
Built-in FM tuner
Integrated voice recorder
Record music from any audio source(no PC required)
Supports MP3, WMA, ASF and OGG music files
Store or transfer files of any type
Enhanced 3D audio

Money is actually a factor here. I don't want to spend more than say...$200. $100 would be even better.

512mb iPod Shuffle - $99.

I bought my oldest son one of these a couple of weeks ago. Great little device. Slips into a jeans coin pocket, rechargeable battery. You need Windows 2000 or XP and USB 2 ports - It will work with USB 1 but be very slow transferring tunes.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

My understanding is that you have to use client software on your PC. This will convert then to the iTune format on your device. This does not mean they need to be downloaded from the iTune site.

iTunes leaves your mp3s in mp3 format, and will rip cds into mp3 format as well.

However, it dose mean you cant plug you iPod into your mates PC and then copy all you music to them as MP3s

You used to be able to do this right in iTunes, but the record labels leaned on Apple quite a bit to disable the feature. However, there are many utilities out there that still let you do this, such as iPod Agent

You also cant use them as portable hard drives.

Sure ya can, you can select "Enable Disk Use" in the ipod options menu of iTunes. Then when you plug it in your computer will mount it and you can use it as an external hard drive.

If I was you I would seriously consider the iRiver range http://www.iriveramerica.com/

One of the main disadvantages of the iPod is that the DRM is very tight, and only alows you to play iTunes.

With other makes you can play any MP3 of OG files you have acces to.
You can also use them as protable Hard Drives. Which can be very usefull form moveing large files between PCs.

However if you purley want to play leagle DRM protected music, on a stylish desiner peice of fashon, then go for an ipod

That's not true. I have 5 friends with IPODS that play any mp3's they want, and one of them uses his as an external HD too. You just don't know how. That doesn't mean other people don't! ;-) If you own an IPOD and care to learn how, I can find out how they did it. PM me if you want me to check on it.

Check this out:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1164842&CatId=1699

FYI, I will be selling my Dell Jukebox so I can purchase that one.

You just can't beat this feature list:
Plays up to 600 hours of digital music*
20GB of internal storage†
Large, vivid color display
Ultra-fast USB 2.0 transfers
Supports secure transfers from Windows Media Player™**
Rechargeable battery lasts up to 16hrs
View JPEG or BMP images
Built-in FM tuner
Integrated voice recorder
Record music from any audio source(no PC required)
Supports MP3, WMA, ASF and OGG music files
Store or transfer files of any type
Enhanced 3D audio

I just bought a 40 Gig IPOD photo with docking station and carrying case for the same price as that iRiver. I would rather have the extra 20 Gig of space over the fm tuner and voice recorder. I am interfacing mine with my car stereo so that I can control it through the cd-changer controls. Then instead of a 10 disc changer I will have up to 20,000 songs at my disposal at real stereo quality (no fm modulator here).

The thing that puts IPODS over the top is available accessories. I hate jumping on the bandwagon, but they can't be beat in this category.

I just bought a 40 Gig IPOD photo with docking station and carrying case for the same price as that iRiver. I would rather have the extra 20 Gig of space over the fm tuner and voice recorder. I am interfacing mine with my car stereo so that I can control it through the cd-changer controls. Then instead of a 10 disc changer I will have up to 20,000 songs at my disposal at real stereo quality (no fm modulator here).

The thing that puts IPODS over the top is available accessories. I hate jumping on the bandwagon, but they can't be beat in this category.

How many of those accessories do you use? After doing some research for my own MP3 player I have found plenty of 3rd party accesories that I can use for it, and I don't have to pay extra for them because they have "Apple or iPod" on the label.

Where the iPod is defeated is felxabilty and the strict rules that go along with it. I'd rather store my music how I want, use whatever music download site and software program that I choose.

Having an FM tuner built in is a great option for when I am on the train and want to listen to the morning news without having to carry around a 2nd device just to do that. Also, it helps at the gym so I can tune into the TV audio they broadcast on FM while riding the bike.

I like the fact that you can record from any source right to MP3 which gives you an easy way to convert your vinyl, cassettes, or whatever into digital format.

FYI, you can get a 40g version of that player as well for just a couple dollars more.

How many of those accessories do you use? After doing some research for my own MP3 player I have found plenty of 3rd party accesories that I can use for it, and I don't have to pay extra for them because they have "Apple or iPod" on the label.

Where the iPod is defeated is felxabilty and the strict rules that go along with it. I'd rather store my music how I want, use whatever music download site and software program that I choose.

Having an FM tuner built in is a great option for when I am on the train and want to listen to the morning news without having to carry around a 2nd device just to do that. Also, it helps at the gym so I can tune into the TV audio they broadcast on FM while riding the bike.

I like the fact that you can record from any source right to MP3 which gives you an easy way to convert your vinyl, cassettes, or whatever into digital format.

FYI, you can get a 40g version of that player as well for just a couple dollars more.

I use one main one accessory - the interface into my car stereo cd changer controller. No other MP3 player out there can do that right now. All the others need an FM Modulator, which reduces sound quality to that of any standard radio (plus you can't control the MP3 player from your stereo interface like I can). This is the entire reason I even bought an MP3 player, so it was a critical factor to me. Trust me, I did my homework.

Oh, and I was wrong, I paid LESS than the cost of the 20GB Nomad for my 40GB Ipod Photo. So why would I want to pay more for the 40GB version of that one that you are now looking at when I can add an FM tuner on to the Ipod for less than the total cost of the other one, and I still have the flexibility of those other optional parts. Not to mention firewire transfer. Just wait until you want to transfer 10+ GB of data and it takes you 6 hours to do it. With firewire, you can do that in 20 minutes.

Two other points:

1. MANY manufacturers make parts for the Ipod, so you can buy generic if you want.

2. You can use whatever music format and download software that you want with the IPOD too.
Do your own research before you just believe every post that people put up here.

The only arguement that you can make against the Ipod is that it doesn't have a user replaceable battery, but from what I saw, no one here made that statement.

I use one main one accessory - the interface into my car stereo cd changer controller. No other MP3 player out there can do that right now. All the others need an FM Modulator, which reduces sound quality to that of any standard radio (plus you can't control the MP3 player from your stereo interface like I can). This is the entire reason I even bought an MP3 player, so it was a critical factor to me. Trust me, I did my homework.

This is wrong. If your receiver in your car has auxiliary inputs you can hook up any mp3 player to it and it does not degrade the sound. Similarly, many receiver models have adapters for the CD Changer port so you can hook ANY mp3 player up that way as well. It is not an iPod exclusive. Sorry. The only thing that is close to iPod only is being able to control it through the stereo interface.

The only arguement that you can make against the Ipod is that it doesn't have a user replaceable battery, but from what I saw, no one here made that statement.

It is ALSO possible to change the iPod battery yourself. It may not be quite as easy as changing the batteries in a flashlight but it can be done.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

1. MANY manufacturers make parts for the Ipod, so you can buy generic if you want.

However there is a marketing fee they have to pay to have the word iPod somewhere on the packaging.

2. You can use whatever music format and download software that you want with the IPOD too.
Do your own research before you just believe every post that people put up here.

I've played with the mini iPod and the 20gb version. I wasn't anymore impressed with it than I was with my older Rio or my new Dell DJ Jukebox. What I did like about it was the hack to install Linux on it and use it however you want - it was interesting navigating thru an OS with the iPod interface.

I believe someone else already corrected you about having an Aux in on your car stereo.

Money is actually a factor here. I don't want to spend more than say...$200. $100 would be even better

then there is one definite choice ebay the hell outta of it Dell DJ's go cheap, I got one for 150 great condition, I like it better then my friends IPOD, but hey, I like Dell stuff:D

Ahh, what a wonderful world.

If your receiver in your car has auxiliary inputs you can hook up any mp3 player to it and it does not degrade the sound.

I am looking into doing this. Do you know of any good receivers that have aux inputs? Are you sure the amp in the receiver will be enough to boost the signal from the mp3 player headphone output to a reasonable volume for car listening? Have you done this or seen it done personally?

Thanks, just want to make sure this will work before I drop close to $500 (guessing) on an mp3 player and car receiver.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Just wait until you want to transfer 10+ GB of data and it takes you 6 hours to do it. With firewire, you can do that in 20 minutes.

Umm, you're talking about USB2, right? I'm pretty sure 10GB of data would transfer in just a few minutes, not 6 hours, using USB2.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Yes iI have seen it done. The aux inputs connect straight into the headphone jack. It works the same as when you use a disc man in the house with an old stereo or whatever. There is plenty enough power since you don't have to boost the signal...your reciever acts just like a giant pair of headphones.

Some car stereos have aux inputs on the front. Some on the back. The one I have been looking at is the Sony CDX-F5710. It has the aux in the back.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-N1QlOvRcBK8/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=158CDXF571&search=CDX%2DF5710
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Money is actually a factor here. I don't want to spend more than say...$200. $100 would be even better.

How about almost free?
Yes it works, no it's not a scam, but it may or may not be "free" (I did one of the offers that didn't actually cost anything, so it'll end up costing me nothing) Here's a tip - create a new email address (use yahoo or something) you'll get a ton of spam.

EDIT:
There's also a ton of ways to connect your ipod in the car:
http://www.crutchfield.com/ipod/inthecar.html
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

However there is a marketing fee they have to pay to have the word iPod somewhere on the packaging.

Come on man, let's get real for a second. Find me a cheap part for any MP3 player on the market, and I will show you the same priced part for the Ipod.

I believe someone else already corrected you about having an Aux in on your car stereo.

Yes, and I believe that I corrected the both of you! :)

For the record, I don't particularly like the Ipod or Apple (actually, I kind of dislike them), but you guys are just wrong here . . . don't know why a couple of you have chips on your shoulders with Ipods, but there are plenty of cheap accessories, you can put any music on them you want, you can use them as external hard drive, and whatever other myths have been propogated in this thread are probably bullshit too.

I JUST bought my Ipod yesterday because many hours of research showed it to be the best overall solution for what I was trying to do - connect an MP3 player to a factory stock navigation system with FULL digital sound quality. I thought about the C.L. Zen Xtra because the price was killer and the unit was pretty cool, but it just couldn't connect to my stock sytem without methods that cause serious loss of sound quality.