NealFitz

Reserve Seal

After reading the thread about the reserve seal jamming shut the container, i wondered what it looked like. and then i read the thread showing the frayed closing lop and whether it should be replaced and seen what the seal looked like. What is the role of the seal? neither of my 2 rigs have them and i dont think anybody I know has one on their rig. what is their purpose?? thanks :)
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

Seals are required in the USA on reserves per Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) Sec. 65.133

Seal Each certificated parachute rigger must have a seal with an identifying mark prescribed by the Administrator, and a seal press. After packing a parachute he shall seal the pack with his seal in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendation for that type of parachute.

If unsealed, it is assumed that the reserve has been opened since it was packed by the rigger who signed the record card. I cannot imagine a US DZ knowingly letting someone jump a reserve without a seal, for legal reasons.

There are some special rules for foriegn jumpers jumping foriegn gear (Sec. 105.49)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I heard about that case of a seal jamming the reserve pin. I think that what happened is that the seal was placed quite at the top of the pin and the red safety tie braid too loose. The seal probably came under the pin toward the top of the container side with respect to the closing loop and against the grommet. If you look closely to your reserve you can see that the space under the pin toward the top of the container side is slightly taper. If the seal goes there it can be squeezed in that taper space between the pin and the grommet and more you pull more the seal is squeezed and the rip cord pull becomes harder. Is that make sense?
To avoid that problem, the rigger should place the seal in the middle of the red safety braid length and have this red braid relatively thight or with at about 1/4" play.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Seals are required in the USA on reserves per Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) Sec. 65.133

Seal Each certificated parachute rigger must have a seal with an identifying mark prescribed by the Administrator, and a seal press. After packing a parachute he shall seal the pack with his seal in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendation for that type of parachute.

If unsealed, it is assumed that the reserve has been opened since it was packed by the rigger who signed the record card. I cannot imagine a US DZ knowingly letting someone jump a reserve without a seal, for legal reasons.

There are some special rules for foriegn jumpers jumping foriegn gear (Sec. 105.49)

wow i'm glad you pointed that out. At safety day this year many people were discussing if there was a requirement for you to keep the seal on once you got your rig back from the rigger and the general consensus was no and it was fine to jump without the seal in place if you felt it was a danger or were uncomfortable with it being there. The only requirement was that the rigger must seal it, what you do with it after is up to you.

wow i'm glad you pointed that out. At safety day this year many people were discussing if there was a requirement for you to keep the seal on once you got your rig back from the rigger and the general consensus was no and it was fine to jump without the seal in place if you felt it was a danger or were uncomfortable with it being there. The only requirement was that the rigger must seal it, what you do with it after is up to you.

This is a tricky area of the law.

On the one hand, the regulation does not clearly state that the rig must be sealed to be legal to jump. So go ahead, give it a try.

One the other hand, the rewrite of FAR 105 made it clear that the FAA could act against pretty much anybody with an FAA rating who is nearby should the regulations be violated.

Your DZO (if he holds a rating, which is likely), and the pilot and possibly other people nearby can be made immensely uncomfortable if the FAA is interested in charging someone with a violation.

This makes it pretty reasonable that your DZ could refuse to let you jump if the seal is missing.

Why would they take the risk?

Okay, maybe they'd allow it if you are well known to them.

But for Joe Random Skydiver coming to their dz for the first time? Maybe not.

The British Parachute Association quit sealing reserves ten or twenty years ago after some idiot used nylon E Thread (minimum breaking strength 8.5 pounds) to seal a reserve instead of the usual cotton sealing thread (4.75 pounds).

Remember that the minimum force to pull a reserve handle out of the pocket is 5 pounds.

the regulation does not clearly state that the rig must be sealed to be legal to jump.

Although FAR 65.133 (14 CFR §65.133) is silent on that issue, The FAA's Parachute Rigger Senior/Master-Certification Guide (AC 65-5B) does require the sealing. As I mentioned in the "Paper Seals" thread,

The FAA's Parachute Rigger Senior/Master-Certification Guide (AC 65-5B) is part of the same regulatory section (14 CFR §65) as §65.133 cited above (and thus they are intended to apply in conjunction with each other). ..........

PDF version:
http://rgl.faa.gov/REGULATORY_AND_GUIDANCE_LIBRARY/RGADVISORYCIRCULAR.NSF/0/9a2a098126ceb0ec862569dc00722032/$FILE/ac65-5b.pdf

HTML version:
http://74.125.93.104/search?q=cache:Nhp8UcnigOIJ:rgl.faa.gov/REGULATORY_AND_GUIDANCE_LIBRARY/RGADVISORYCIRCULAR.NSF/0/9a2a098126ceb0ec862569dc00722032/%24FILE/ac65-5b.pdf+%22AC+65-5B%22+cfr+lead&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I never said we don't have to seal it. The regs are clear that we must seal it after we pack it.

The question is if the regulations say the seal must be there to legally jump the rig.

I just searched the whole AC65-5B for "seal", and I don't think anything I found clearly requires the seal at the time of the jump.

About as close as it comes is that it says, "As long as the safety thread and seal remain intact, it is an indication to the user that the pack has not been opened since being inspected and packed by a certificated parachute rigger."

I do find it interesting that they state that the seal is only an indication and not proof that the rig has not been opened.

The question is if the regulations say the seal must be there to legally jump the rig.
I just searched the whole AC65-5B for "seal", and I don't think anything I found clearly requires the seal at the time of the jump.

Yep, looks like you're right. (Sorry - didn't realize you meant "at the time the jump takes place.")

I do find it interesting that they state that the seal is only an indication and not proof that the rig has not been opened.

Must have been written by some damn lawyer - always equivocating.

The purpose of a seal is similar to the fact of closing a car or house main door with a lock when you are away. It is a sort of guarantee that nobody has opened the reserve container. The reserve is your last chance and you want to be sure it is ready to work. Since the seal has the mark (number) of the rigger, it is a way to track if your rigger is qualified. It happened to me to see a seal on a reserve not corresponding to the signature of the "packer". That rig had been pen packed. In an other case, a seal number revealed that the "rigger" had not a continuous rating then was not qualified and obviously not current. He had put the reserve bag the wrong way in the container. The seal is there for your safety and I think it's a good idea to have one.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

"I do find it interesting that they state that the seal is only an indication and not proof that the rig has not been opened.

"

That is splitting hairs.
Given enough bored skydivers and enough rainy days and one of them will invent a way to tamper with a reserve without disturbing the seal.

Just as locks discourage lazy thieves, lead seals discourage lazy skydivers from tampering with reserves.