ladyskydiver

HELP!!! How do you train for a 3 day, 60 mile walk?

A friend of mine gave me a call and asked if I'd be willing to do a walk for a breast cancer foundation. I agreed without question, and then realized exactly how far I was going to be walking. :D

I've never done a 60 mile walk before much less in 3 days. How in the world do I train for such an event?
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

That's only 20 miles a day, that's nothing.

Buy a good set of walking shoes, good support and that fit perfectly. Too tight anywhere or too loose anywhere and you'll get some good blisters going. Get a few good pairs of socks, good quality.

Break in the socks and shoes before the event. Go walk 10 miles today, you'll find that 10 miles is nothing.

A nice camelback mule will help as well since you'll have water and pockets for snacks and such. Buy snacks you'll like, even if they're not as tendy or useful as a powerbar.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

A friend of mine gave me a call and asked if I'd be willing to do a walk for a breast cancer foundation. I agreed without question, and then realized exactly how far I was going to be walking. :D

I've never done a 60 mile walk before much less in 3 days. How in the world do I train for such an event?

Hehe, I would hire someone to walk for me. :) 60 Miles! Not this old fart.

Get good shoes, break them in by walking. A lot of walking. Because only with lots of walking will you know for sure if the shoes/feet combination will hold up.

That's not an incredible regimen there -- challenging, but withing the capabilities of a lot of people (including many ancestors who walked to the West alongside their covered wagons).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Smart alek! :D Yes, I know walking's a good way to start. I walk 2.5 miles every other day already. Just trying to figure out how to ramp it up. :D
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I have been involved in the volunteer crew for those events and congratulate you for making the commitment. They are wonderful events that are often life-changing for the participants.

Your first step should be to connect with the organization running the event - generally they do a great job with training tips and organizing training groups. They will probably be able to recommend training schedules as well. I've had several friends do these events as walkers and it's a big time commitment to train.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks, Dave! Yeah...it's only 20 miles a day.

Any suggestions on brand of walking shoe? Obviously, I'd need to make sure it fit, etc. but any ones that I should keep an eye out for?

Any suggestions on brand of walking shoe? Obviously, I'd need to make sure it fit, etc. but any ones that I should keep an eye out for?

Couldn't really help you there...some googling will help you. Here in a minute I'll do some googling for you and see what i can find.

Personally I really like my well broken in combat boots for long walks, but that's just me.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Eat really well (no junk food), perhaps up your protein and complex carb intake and get loads of rest. Make sure you wear a pair of comfortable trainers and stretch well every night and just before the walk.

Do that and you will atl east feel refreshed and ready to go on the day. Oh and pace yourself.

If you legs starts to ache, just slow your pace, breath heavy and get the oxygen to them, they'll soon go numb and you'll be able to walk forever ;).

Whats the weather like where you are going? If its dry i'd suggest getting fabric boots (sometimes called approach boots) as they need less wearing in than leather ones. loads of good manufacturers - personally i like karrimor, salomon and north face but that may vary stateside. But as you rightly said, its all about the fit and it depends on your foot shape - I cannot wear merrell because they just don't fit right.

Good cause though - much respeck
Never try to eat more than you can lift

The walk that I'm doing is October 7-9 in Tampa, FL so I have a while to train. I just want to get a headstart on training now so that I'm not killing myself the last month or so getting ready for the event.

So...typical October Florida weather - hot and occasionally muggy. :D

Last spring I went on a camping/hiking trip which involved a couple of 15-mile days of up-and-down. No, I was not that used to it.

But a decent pair of lightweight hiking boots (Alpine brand, if I remember -- cheap, but they fit like nothing was on my feet) and enough time before going to make sure that they weren't going to make me regret it.

So based on that incredible basis of knowledge, I'd suggest some lightweight hiking boots and a good pair of socks. I like thinner instead of thicker socks, and I really hate having my feet feel constrained. I shopped with that in mind, and it worked.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ah thats cool - loads of time. Seiously i would just try and put the car away for a few months (of course you might have a 20+ mile commute :D)

I walk to work a couple of times a week which is a good hour. Means i have to get up early but i can walk along the seafront so its all good.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Buy some really good shoes! If you're in pretty decent shape you can walk 20 miles/day for 3 days. You want your feet not to hurt though....

linz

edited to add: oops....should've read the thread first.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail