Treejumps

Win 2000 Vs XP

Hey all you techies,

I just bought my wife her own computer and it has XP. I can't say I like XP compared to 2000, but to get them to network wirelessly, it appears I need to upgrade to XP on my system. ANy thoughts on this? AM I pretty much going to go through hell to do the upgrade? Will anything still work after this?

Any help appreciated. I already have the XP disc, but I am very hesitant.

Thanks.

XP ain't nuthin' but Win2k with a fancy-pants GUI. Don't sweat it.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

You dont need to have XP to network with XP, unless you are using some weird Microsoft stuff to manage your connection, but advise using the NICs utility program anyway, works better.

However, I will say....I was a HARDCORE fan of 2K, but upon making the switch to XP about 18 months ago to be consistent with my work environment, I love it! The driver database is MUCH better, in addition to some things that really do make it easier. However, that being said, I run with all the 'candy' easy sharing turned off, start menu in classic mode, control panel in classic mode, TweakUI running, etc. So....if you set it up right, visual functionality is very close to 2K.
I would also highly recommned Xp Pro, if you care about networking and related managment.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

There shouldn't be any reason why you can't get it connected with Win2K. 2k is stable, XP is just a pretty gui version that they released so the computer wuffos would think that there was an upgrade. After ME though, they had to do something, so XP it was.

Same problem as when 2000 came out, the consumer base was freaking out cause they were still using 98se. The result was ME

If you're going to upgrade, go to XP Pro and MAKE SURE YOU GET THE SERVICE PACKS!!! Or you're asking for it... All your programs should run fine as well
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Also depends on what you're using it for. I've switched between XP and W2K on some machines at work (software development) and W2K has by far the best performance.

It's more stable and not such a resource hog as XP.

If you really want something out of your machine, go with Linux.

I second this, but in the opposite direction.

I run legacy (16 bit software) heavily in a testing environment. It runs best in this order:

XP Pro
Win98
Win2K

There really are structural improvements in XP. Examine the registry hives, and system level functions. While the GUI is most obvious, there are differences.
--

Thanks for the advice. I really like W2K, and I really don't like the XP. I just can't figure out how to get them to share printers and files, primarily because the netork disk that XP creates is not supported by W2k. It says it will work with Win95 & 98, but that W2k does not. If you have any ideas on how to make them talk (I use a Linksys Broadband Router) I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

My advice is follow this tutorial: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/

It might next be an issue of what do you want to do over the connect, that is more of an issue of Windows networking.
For that, try this tutorial. http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/
--

Thanks for the advice. I really like W2K, and I really don't like the XP. I just can't figure out how to get them to share printers and files, primarily because the netork disk that XP creates is not supported by W2k. It says it will work with Win95 & 98, but that W2k does not. If you have any ideas on how to make them talk (I use a Linksys Broadband Router) I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

You dont need to create any network disks. Your setup should have the linksys router assign your computers IP's (Internet Protocol Address's). If both machines can get on the internet, then they are both configured to talk to each other.

In your network properties, check to make sure File and Printer Sharing is enabled. Windows XP has been "locked down" from the factory, so you will need to run the file and printer sharing wizard to allow access for computers on your local network.

Once that is done, you can share files, folders, and printers.