richravizza

new beee gear ALT. failure ?

I'M OFF STUDENT STATUS !!
i'M BUYING ONE PIECE OF GEAR AT A TIME SO i CAN AFFORD TO KEEP JUMPING renting rig @ DZ
1ST GOGGLES
2ND AN ALTI-2
NOW iM LOOKING AT HELMETS
AFTER READING A POST A(FATALITY) POSSIBLE LOSS OF ALT. AWARNESS ie.broken/stuck /inaccurate Altimiter.
Should I get an audiable as a back up with the helmet ? I dont mind waiting to save and get'm Both
PS. I didnt look down to much(stundent), so just looking down is new disorenting.i dont have the skill to judge where i'm at I do know the ground starts to LOOK BIGGER :o

Great that your getting gear...sounds like you're goin' be around for a while! B|

Most of the stuff you mentioned- helmet, altimeter etc. is pretty well made stuff, and with proper care will last you quite some time. (I still have & use an altimaster ll that I bought 25 years ago)

~ my advise would be to get the best you can afford even if it may seem pricey right now.

There are a lot of deals on used gear here in the classifieds, If you know someone that can help you evaluate before you buy, you can get set-up fairly well for not a lotta $ (relatively speaking :ph34r:)

-personally I always buy new when it comes to something I plan to hang onto for several years...that way I know what it's been subjected to and how it's been cared for/handled.

An audible (or two) are definitely good back-ups, but they like your altimeter are 'only' back-ups to visual reference.

There are several types that do different things and are priced accordingly.

Look at one of the more basic audibles to start and later on spring for the free-fall computer/audible with all the bells & whistles.

Train yourself not to depend on them...

~I know, as you said it's a bit disconcerting looking down ;) but you need to do so.

When riding up in the plane, check your altimeter at pull altitude and look outside to consciously 'imprint' what the roads, trees, runway, the planet in general - look like at that altitude.

It takes time but before long you'll be surprising yourself at how close you can guess, while in the aircraft 'before' checking your gauges.

Same for a helmet, you may see many at the DZ wearing a full-face brain bucket.

But that may not be the best choice for you right now, may not even be an option depending on where you jump.

Get the best you can afford that will be suitable for your current stage.

*quick note on the fatality reports~ continue to use them as you mentioned here, as a tool to open the thought process in regard to asking questions pertinent to your own safety and growth in the sport...but don't limit yourself to that alone.

This website has been around for a while, take some time and peruse older threads for topics of interest and remember the search function is your friend....

~keep in mind it is the Internet and you need to speak in person with someone you trust, that knows your current skill level and rate of progression before trying anything drastically different than what you're doing, and that goes for gear as well.

Have Fun! B|

Edited to correct your spelling- It's n00b ~not~ 'new beee'! :ph34r::P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

A audible altimeter is a very nice device especially when you are doing formation skydiving. I set my first alarm at 5000 ft most of the time. After that I work with my wrist altimeter. By the way I have 2 audible altimeters, one is a Protrack as as computer recording the free fall data and the really audible one is a Time Out which I like very much cause it "wakes" me up when too I am much focused.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.