SkiD_PL8

Professional Pilots

Go to http://www.aopa.org/learntofly/

Then feel free to email me with any questions.

I was a banker for 25 years, got "retired" 7 years agao. Now working full time as an independent CFI. Best office window I can imagine!

Blue Skies!

harry Leicher
2004 CFI of the Year, FAA Western Pacific Region
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

.... someone mentioned the job market...... can anybody give a little more insight into the comparison between the rotor and fixed wing job opportunities...??

There is a shortage of helicopter pilots in the offshore oil sector and the emergency medical evacuation sector. Getting the hours might require you to instruct for a while or go Army (some risk with adventure) Check this out:http://www.justhelicopters.com/home/default.asp

Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Most "Professional" Pilots have a degree...Something to think about.

While this is true, that is because so much emphasis is placed on getting your ratings through a Part 141 school, whereas when it comes times to get a job, the airlines could careless how/where/when you got your hours. They want you to smile and hand them your logbook. If you have more, better, complexer (shush, it's not a word) hours than the next guy, you'll get the job. The important thing is when there is a downturn in the airline industry, especially early in your career, what will you do when you are laid off for 2-3 years? With a degree, there is always something to fall back on. Without, you might be stuck flipping burgers with 1000 hours PIC and $25K in debt.

As per Part 141 or Part 61, unless you intend to get a degree on top of your professional pilot certificate, then there is no reason to go through a Part 141. They will spend hours upon hours (meaning your money upon your money) babysitting you through all the information you need to know. When the information is right there for you to get. A Gleim or Jeppesen kit for private pilot through ATP and everything in between can be purchased for $800, throw on a headset and you're paying $1000. Go to your local Part 141 and they'll ask for that same $1000 for the books, plus another $10K over the next two years on top to teach you everything which you could learn on your own; don't forget that doesn't yet include an hour of flight time. Some people need these direction, some don't. On top of that, they'll force you to fly their $135/hour Archer with instructor when you could go down the street and rent the 152 for $40/hour dry plus and old-timer CFI for $20. 200 hours starts adding up if you are taking loans or scrounging for every last dollar. If you got the money or someone else paying you to go to school, go to a 141 school hands down, but it's far from necessary, and your future employers could care less.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

While this is true, that is because so much emphasis is placed on getting your ratings through a Part 141 school, whereas when it comes times to get a job, the airlines could careless how/where/when you got your hours.

I work for an airline.

From this weeks job postings:

REQUIRES: BACHELOR'S DEGREE FROM AN ACCREDITED COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY. AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT CERTIFICATE WITH MULTI-ENGINE AND INSTRUMENT RATING REQUIRED. 1500 HOURS FIXED WING JET AS PILOT-IN-COMMAND OR FIRST OFFICER REQUIRED INCLUDING A MINIMUM OF 1000 HOURS TOTAL FIXED WING PILOT-IN-COMMAND (PIC) IN MULTI- ENGINE TURBO PROP A/C OR JET A/C OR COMBINATION THEREOF. ALL CERTIFICATES AND RATINGS REQUIRED TO BE USA FAA ISSUED. MUST POSSESS A CURRENT FAA FIRST CLASS MEDICAL CERTIFICATE AND HAVE 20/20 CORRECTABLE VISION. STRONG INTERPERSONAL SKILLS REQUIRED.

I would recomend a 61 schoolas well...But if you want to fly for the majors...You will also need a degree.

I know plenty of pilots with lots of time that had to get degrees to move up.

Some "bought" degrees, but this often bites them in the ass later.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

From this weeks job postings:

REQUIRES: BACHELOR'S DEGREE FROM AN ACCREDITED COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY.

News to me, but I stand corrected. This is for a first officer slot for a major airline? I know regionals don't require it. I have plenty of pilot friends who get their two year certificate, CFI for a couple, then get a regional position. I know a UPS recruiter said that a bachelors isn't required.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

News to me, but I stand corrected. This is for a first officer slot for a major airline?

This is what they want for a *flight engineer*. We only hire people that we think will become Captains...The only Professional Engineers we have are pilots that are to old to fly as PIC and step into the back.

Yes, this is a Major.

know regionals don't require it.

Not a slam on the regional pilots, but some of those positions they work the dog shit out of you and pay like crap...Hell Northwest Airlink at one time made you pay for your own training...Not what I would consider a "Professional" job. Although the pilot may *be* professional about his job and do it well...I would not consider the job professional.

I have plenty of pilot friends who get their two year certificate, CFI for a couple, then get a regional position

I know a few that did that without even the two year...But there became stuck there at the regional level forever. Some regional jobs are great, some are crap.

I know a UPS recruiter said that a bachelors isn't required.

They have ways to get around it...They call it "Prior Learning" or they add "or Equivalent". I have been at my company so long they just consider me to have a 4 year degree.

And even though I have no proof I have been told that things like a degree will let you move up faster than just stick and rudder time.

I don't agree with the practice, but it is there.

I was planning on flying for my company...But medical reasons made it so I would have a hard time getting a Class I.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334