Unstable

Quick loop on a Vector III? What what what?

Ok so I'm pretty new to the whole rigging scene (still signing as pending) and I have never seen nor heard of this type of device, nor do I understand how it would be used in closing. Could someone please explain that part to me please?

The only LEGAL use is as a temporary loop in the early stages of closing a Pop-Top (BASER, Para-Cushion, Racer, Reflex or Teardrop).
Jump Shack hands out similar "ghost loops" for free.

For the last decade, a few California riggers have been using "Lodi Loops" in Javelins, Vectors, etc. It simplifies the packing process, because they are easier to adjust - than stock Cypres loops - and you can set the length halfway through the pack job .. usually after you have compressed the pilot chute. Making major adjustments after closing the last flap is considered bad form.
Since no fatalities have been blamed on Lodi Loops, I don't see what the fuss is about.
However, after CSPA's Technical Committee gave me a hard time - with no clear explanation - I quit using Lodi Loops.

First, did you call the rigger that packed this? I can agree that too big a loop above the insertion is not so good because of what you mentioned and you need all the holding power available. I had a conversation with Bill Booth at PIA regarding adjustable reserve loops on sigma tandems with the staging loops, and he was quite eager to talk. We decided that care needed to be taken with length.(Test the length, unpack and make adjustment to the closing loop as required to get the 1" offset.) He did not bat an eye when I brought it up. I myself do not use them anymore because my pack jobs go so many places, I was tired of the "You caaaant' dooo that" phone calls. If you do not like the way something is rigged and it did _NOT_ affect safety, correct the condition and move on! Sure this looked a bit sloppy, again call the last guy or gal who's hands were on it.

Pulled this out of a V3 in Ogden UT today. I'm digging through every piece of UPT literature saying that this is a good idea, but I'm not finding anything. :|

Riggers and Riggets, please be careful out there!:|

Today a rigger at our DZ in Erda, UT found a reserve closing loop that looks exactly like the one in your photo. It may have been from the same rigger that made the one you found. This rig was last repacked in Ogden area. The local DPRE was on site today & he looked it over, so I figured he'd take it from there & make any calls if necessary.