wildblue

First pot and now this?!?

Not cool. >:(

What did they ever do to us?

I know! Nature doesn't know anything about balance!! Let's fix it! Lessee... too many baby seals, check, too many trees, check, too many protected wildlife refuges with oil just sitting beneath them, check.

We'll fix this heap in no time.

>:(

(not trying to get this moved, just one area my sense of humor does not cover.)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Damn you Canadians have ALL the fun! They even let you guys club baby seals!

And that is why Canada is as close to Utopia as it gets...;)

See this thread, too:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1557872#1557872

_Pm :D
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

I didn't bother search SC... I knew people on here could argue about some stupid shit... but damn!

Oh yeah, then it spun off into a branch thread about abortion. It was awesome. :S
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

First pot and now this???
Damn you Canadians have ALL the fun! They even let you guys club baby seals!

Give your head a shake,
:S:S:S
If you feel like venting at least find something viable to vent, or take a moment to check what your reading...and where the source is from???
:S:S:S

Our goal is simple: to maintain a healthy, strong, sustainable population for years to come.

To become a professional sealer, an individual must apprentice under a professional sealer for two years. This ensures that appropriate training and skills are passed on.

Our management plan for the annual seal hunt is based on solid science that is reviewed by scientists from Canada, the United States and Europe. We monitor the population yearly, and conduct an intensive survey every five years.

Scientists from around the world have participated in the review of the 2004 survey results. In addition, scientists from the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) and the World Wildlife Federation (WWF) participated in this review.
With this scientific data in hand, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans develops a management plan, based on sound conservation principles. We establish a healthy baseline for the hunt that ensures a seal herd of 70 per cent of its highest known abundance.

Numerous organizations have studied the hunting methods used in the Canadian seal hunt and they have found them to be humane.

The hunting methods presently used were studied by the Royal Commission on Seals and Sealing in Canada and they found that the clubbing of seals, when properly performed is at least as humane as, and often more humane than, the killing methods used in commercial slaughterhouses, which are accepted by the majority of the public.

Methods used to kill seals in Canada were found to be generally more humane than the shooting of animals for sport. The Commission also found that no methods of killing which have come to their notice, other than clubbing or shooting, achieve acceptable standards of humaneness.

The Canadian seal hunt takes place in and around the primary whelping patches off Canada’s Atlantic Coast. These whelping patches occur off the northwestern coast of Newfoundland (commonly referred to as the Front) and in and around the Magdalen Islands and Prince Edward Island (commonly referred to as the Gulf).

P.S.
can't imagine what knowledge you have about Canada and pot???....you have one thing right, us Canadians do know how to have fun.
:P

SMiles;)

Our goal is simple: to maintain a healthy, strong, sustainable population for years to come.

I don't really care, and I don't want to debate, but anyone can come up with the greatest sounding goal ever. Are only the seals with contagious diseases being killed? I could see that being a way to promote a healthy population of seals.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I don't really care, and I don't want to debate, but anyone can come up with the greatest sounding goal ever. Are only the seals with contagious diseases being killed? I could see that being a way to promote a healthy population of seals.

Sweet... you just gave me a great idea for when I become dictator of the world...
Warning for those of you with below average IQ - start studying now.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

killing humanely? strange combination of words

The Veterinary Medical Association uses these terms...

In September 2002, the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) issued a Special Report ***on Animal Welfare and the Harp Seal Hunt in Atlantic Canada. Observations made by representatives of the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association at the recent hunts concludes that the seals are killed in an acceptably humane manner.

Also stated:

the seal hunt has the potential to be among the most humanely conducted hunts of wild animals, whether for commerce or sport.

and:

The calvarium of the skull of harp seals and hooded seals, at least up to 1 y of age, is very thin as compared with that of terrestrial mammals of comparable size, such as raccoons and dogs. Therefore, the skulls of these seals can be crushed easily by 1 blow from a hakapik, destroying both underlying cerebral hemispheres. Complete collapse of the calvarium can be verified quickly and reliably by palpation through the skin and blubber. Humane hunting practices are ensured in compliance with Marine Mammal Regulations..

Harp seals (Phoca groenlandica) and hooded seals (Cystophora cristata) are ice-breeding species that migrate annually between arctic and subarctic regions of the Atlantic. The northwestern population moves between Davis Strait in summer and whelping grounds in late winter. Females give birth in March; young harp seals are weaned after approximately 12 days and hooded seals after only 4 days; the young of both species are immediately abandoned by their mothers. These 2 species, but particularly the harp seal because of its large numbers, have been the basis of the seal hunt in Atlantic Canada for more than 200 years.

SMiles;)

HUMAN BEINGS ARE PART OF NATURE!!

As a Newfoundlander I feel compelled to post here as well –

I’d like to refer to an article by Russell Hillis called “Hunting and the Antis” to put a different spin on the seal hunt. He writes about how the “Antis” equate hunting with killing and that killing animals is cruel. There are many (not all, of course) who seem to forget that buying a couple steaks at the local grocery or buying leather shoes is also contributing to the death of an animal.

He also writes about, and I definitely agree, that anti-hunters generally do not understand the effect of their own actions.

Some, are careful not to eat meat, not buy leather products, use hygienic products that are not animal tested and so on. Their actions still cause suffering of animals, how? Most of the products they use to replace leather, wood, beauty care and so on are petroleum based. One must wonder what these people think that the oil in an oil spill was going to be used for? Too many people believe that crude oil is used solely for the production of fuels and lubricants. Petroleum is used everywhere in every shape and form that you can bring to mind. Take a look at your computer to start with; nearly every part of it involved the use of petroleum. The case, the keyboard, the monitor, the mouse, everything has been touched by the petroleum industry. The effect on wildlife? Oil spills, acid rain, increased flouro-carbons, and the list goes on and on.

The biggest problem the anti-hunting faction has? It has no idea what effect they have on the environment through their own actions.

Most, in fact believe that the human race is NOT part of nature, and we are some how above it.

The anti-hunting faction has little care for the human cost of their campaign. This can be seen in the Arctic and Newfoundland, where the Inuit and the sealers way of life collapsed after the destruction of the seal hunt.

End quote.