SpeedRacer

Jazz...

when I was in my 20's I didn't like jazz.. as I got older, now I enjoy it more & more.

So let's here from you all: Is jazz an acquired taste?

Is there a sort of zen to it that young, impatient people just don't get??? Have you too noticed an age-related response to good jazz??

And also, can you recommend some good jas CDs?:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Hey, fuck you, I love jazz and have loved jazz for atleast 10 years. I've also been playing jazz for 10 years.:D

(Edit: I'm 25 now)

Good albums?

Oh shit...well, there's a lot.

Besides the obvious answers that even non-jazz folks know (bitch's brew, etc), how about:

Charlie Parker and Dizzie live at Carnegie Hall
Return to Birdland (Maynard Ferguson album, has Scott Englebright on lead trumpet, the best all around scream trumpeter today).
Literally anything by Count Basie
Head Hunters (Herbie Hancock)

Those three will keep you busy for a little while. 3 completely different styles of jazz and damnit all 3 of those albums are BADASS!

You'll especailly like Parker and Dizzie, they play a version of "A Night In Tunisia" that is fucking amazing! Dizze's solo in that recording shows exactly why he was the best improv trumpet player to ever live.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm wondering how many folks missed this thread since it was posted later in the evening last night? I've always wondered about that, since I know a lot of folks only keep up with threads they were talking in and only threads on the first couple of pages.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Man, Head Hunters rocks!, especially Chameleon. I also love Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and Giant Steps by Coltrane. The birdman is just insane, I tried playing Confirmation one time on a mandolin (weird I know) and couldn't get past the first couple lines. I don't consider Jazz an acquired taste . . . I think people start liking it only when they realize what true music is, and that sometimes doesn't happen until later in life.

Chamelon is amazing on that album, but what really got me going was the version of Watermelon Man on that album.B|

Hell yeah! What I love is that whenever anyone hears that album, they always think chameleon is sweet and can't wait for the next song. Then they get the jungle!!!!! They just stare at me like, "what the hell is this??"

I am a sax player, but I really enjoy listening to Dizzy Gillespie and Arturo Sandoval on trumpet. I think Sandoval is an amazing musician who can play anything. Check out the Hot House album if you like latin jazz. I also love the deeply complicated tonal and harmonic work of Thelonius Monk. There is a best of CD out that has many of his better known recordings. If you're looking to find some of the early stuff and roots of modern jazz music check out some of Louis Armstrong's earlier stuff, Gershwin, and the big band era swing like Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman. From there you get into a huge divergence with bebop, acid jazz, fusion, etc. I agree that jazz is sort of an acquired taste that some pick up earlier and some later. It's a matter of appreciating the music for what it is whether it is a simple but moving blues, or a very complex bebop or latin jazz tune. Once a person can appreciate that it takes a lot more knowledge of the music to understand jazz than rock, pop, or even much classical music then they can truly see the appeal of jazz. A lot of what you'll like to listen to will depend on your personal tastes.

Blue Skies,
Adam

Hi Speed,
Seems like I have always liked "Jazz!!" From Dixie Land to the wildest progressive, it's my gig. I'm an old fart that grew up near New Orleans in the late 40's and into the50's. Jazz was everywhere. Dizzy, Parker, Kenton, the "be-bop" times, Dizzy's bent up horn, wild. Go out on a limb with the Dave Brubeck Quartet "Take 5" and those wild time signatures!! If you're in So. Cal. or have a dish, KLON 88.1 FM Long Beach (Ca.) State Univ. radio (NPR) 24 hrs. a day Jazz and Blues. I live in NC now but I miss that station!! Chuck Niles and Stan Fields laying down the charts. I have boxes of tapes I made from those daze. Local NPR does good Jazz here but the LA area still has to be tops. Summer of 83, at the Hollywood Bowl, Dave Brubeck, Stan Kenton and Gerry Mulligan, knock your socks off!!!!!!!!! Not to diverge too much, but if you like Jazz, you probably likethe Blues too. (KLON touts themselves as America's Jazz "and" Blues station) But that's another story. As for Jazz CD's, Brubeck's "Take 5!!" to me is still one of the progressive classics, like '65 vintage but it still trips me out.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out