hackish

best way to reef a round?

I would be happy to see unreefed rounds go the way of the Dodo. Somebody needs to apply for an alteration to let you pack a Mil seat with a full stow diaper folded in fifths. I wonder if you could do a B-12 with a strong style half stow diaper?

And a 4 line. It needs a buttler style four line.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Hi Lee,

Somebody needs to apply for an alteration to let you pack a Mil seat with a full stow diaper folded in fifths.

I did. Or more specifically, I applied for and received approval to add two different types of full stow diapers to rounds.

It can be done rather easily.

JerryBaumchen

Hi pc

When I was in the air force as a loadmaster. One method for precision delivery was called LAPES : low altitude extraction extraction system.

I think theres some video on u tube. The extraction chute was release by the navigator when the airplane was close enough to the ground that the landing gear was down and locked as a safety factor.

The extraction chute skirt was reefed almost like a streamer. When we got close enough to the exact delivery point the navigator had a pickle switch that he would use to send a electrical signal to the cutter attached to the reefing line.

The extraction chute would fully open and the load would leave the bird like a freight train, and skid along the ground on aluminion pallets. The whole crew practiced using the system, we only got to use it real world in a exercise in spain.

When things got hot in Kha San. Some poor guys from our squadron used it to resuppy the marines. With Mcnasty little people shelling the airfield. Hard to hit a moving target:ph34r:

I'm so glad I missed out on those missions:)

One Jump Wonder

Was an approval for installing the diaper on that one canopy or any canopy of that model? Could only you do the installation in your shop or could you send a diaper to another master rigger for installation on a rig there? Was it just an alteration to the canopy or did it include approval for that installation in a Mil Seat pack? Would you need a second approval or set of approvals for the alteration to the packing of the seat?

How much testing did the FSDO require of you? Was it all functional, low speed, test or did they make you do any thing fast and heavy? I think I could argue that there would be no need to heavy structural testing but would they feel the need to see the opening time? Particularly if you were altering the packing of the container? You're now lifting a great weight of lines along with the canopy to line stretch.

And if you've got it setting on the shelf why aren't you shipping Diapers all over the country? Why is there still a free packed round left in the air? Get to sewing. Get a stamp for your approval and start shipping them.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

Hi Lee,

I do consider some of the information proprietary and do not want to share it entirely.

The approval is that only I can do the work. I cannot transfer the rights to someone else.

I can build the diaper but I cannot send it to someone else for the install. The approval states that I must do the install.

The alteration was for the canopy; I made no reference to any container(s).

If you would like more specific info, drop me a line at:

jerrybaumchen(at)gmail(dot)com

JerryBaumchen

PS) I hate to sound so secrective but over the years I have had a number of things approved by the FAA. I am not interested in the world taking pot-shots at what I do.

Back around 1985, Butler got FAA approval for a (type 4) diaper that could be sewn onto almost any round canopy.
Like I said earlier, I sewed dozens of them onto new C9 canopies coming through Butler Parachute Systems.

I also sewed Butler's diapers onto a dozen other models of Military-surplus canopies sewn in: Britain, South Africa, USA, etc.

The retrofit diaper was almost identical to the diapers sewn onto Butler's XTC-500 canopies during production. The biggest difference was the circumference. I remember that XTC-500s and most sport reserves got 9 inch wide diapers, while C9 diapers were larger in circumference ... something like 14.5 inches, but don't quote me.

I always thought that was the smartest thing buttler ever did. I suppose it's really a question of how it gets written up. But the other half would be the approval for a Diaper installation in the old Mil containers. With that part of the equation you could then use the off the shelf Buttler diaper and four line mods. I guess it's a roll of the dice who your dealing with in the local FSDO and what he'll let you do.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]