sandi

studying for GRE

I need motivation. I took the day off work specifically to study. Of course now I'm just hanging out enjoying my free day.

I need someone to tell me that the GRE is really hard and I better start studying or I'll never get into graduate school.

Or anything else you can think of that might get me motivated to study.

The GRE is REALLY HARD! Take the GMAT instead!

Happy?

I personally don't think it's the sort of thing that you can study for -- especially in one day. You'd be better off taking a long nap today, followed by a peaceful walk in a quiet place. When you get up in the morning, eat a good breakfast, then have a couple of Hersey bars on the drive over there. Be calm, relaxed, and give the stuff that has accumulated in your brain for a lifetime the maximum opportunity to reappear. You'll do fine!

I didn't study, but then I took it in undergrad when it was all still fresh.

Start doing practice questions - don't stress, just take the book outside or to a cafe or something and start familiarizing yourself with the types of quetions you'll see. Figure out which are easiest and which are most challenging for you, and focus accordingly.

Take lots of breaks too - this is tiring brainwork. Set a goal to get through 10 questions or 1 section at a time and then assess how you did and take a breather.

This way, you can still enjoy your day, but get something done too. :)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Just watch out for those damn logic questions. Friggin' canoes full of people with alphabetical names who don't want to sit next to certain other people...:S That shit drives me batty.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I personally don't think it's the sort of thing that you can study for

I agree, it's an aptitude test. I think that's why I'm not that motivated to study.

I've actually got a couple weeks left to study. I really just want to brush up on my math skills. It's been many, many years since I had a math class.

then have a couple of Hersey bars on the drive over there

mmmmm, hershey bars! Oh, now I'm distracted again.

The problem with the GRE is the is an adaptative test taking on a computer.

If you answer the first question right, the second one will be a little harder and so on, if you answer a question wrong the next one will be a little easier and so on ( you will be losing points too) they say if you answer the first 7 questions right you will pass the test even if you get rest wrong. half of the test is math half is reading comprehension and definitions, the reading part is hard since the only way they can make it harder is including words that aren't usual or common, so you will need to build vocabulary for this part of the test, you won't have problems there since you grow up here but think about a biligual person how hard that could be.

I took a KAPLAN course before I took the test and I did OK don't remember my score but I started my masters in International bussiness.

So yes you got to study, or pay for a course that will prepare you kinda what I did

hope I helped a Little
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

If you answer the first question right, the second one will be a little harder and so on, if you answer a question wrong the next one will be a little easier and so on

When I took the GRE, the computer wasn't that subtle about it. The verbal section would fire out...

lugubrious : doleful ::
a. banal : insipid
b. tractable : recalcitrant
c. pensive : vacuous
d. profligate : miserly
e. tangible : illusory

and I'd think about it for a bit, but not being quite sure what lugubrious means, I was going to have to guess, so I pick b...

then the computer thinks about my answer and comes back with...

The cow says...
a. woof
b. quack
c. oink
d. moo
e. meow

I need motivation. I took the day off work specifically to study. Of course now I'm just hanging out enjoying my free day.

I need someone to tell me that the GRE is really hard and I better start studying or I'll never get into graduate school.

Or anything else you can think of that might get me motivated to study.

Try the Demo version of Words, Words, Words for FREE.

After you have augmented your vocabulary by 100 words, get the College version.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

When I took the GRE, the computer wasn't that subtle about it. The verbal section would fire out...

and I'd think about it for a bit, but not being quite sure what lugubrious means, I was going to have to guess, so I pick b...

The cow says...
a. woof
b. quack
c. oink
d. moo
e. meow

LMAO! Nice one! :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

My grad school didn't require GRE. Many private universities don't. Some have a "minimum" score that can be waived. They let you take three or four classes before taking the GRE, and if you get good grades, they don't care what your GRE score is.

Pick your school first, if you haven't already. You might not even need to take it.

If you answer the first question right, the second one will be a little harder and so on, if you answer a question wrong the next one will be a little easier and so on

The cow says...
a. woof
b. quack
c. oink
d. moo
e. meow

This is about the funniest posting I've seen in Bonfire! Sorry I didn't see it sooner!