tecdady

Our first day of training.. Any help?

hey all. well my friend and i did our first day of training today (see pic). im the last person that gets scared, i have over 48 weeks of training in SCUBA and today.. today ended several hours ago, and my palms are still sweating as i type this.

we did our static line stuff. the first jump, the line gave me road rash on my left arm. my arm position was obviously terrible. second jump was just okay. third jump, i slipped off of the wing strut and fell.

i just am freaked out about climbing out onto the wing strut and hanging for some reason.

1. look at the pilot ask "Will, how do I look?"
2. head up, toes pointed, arch
3. grab practice handle
4. shock

after i get to step one, i freeze. im tall (6'4") so the arch just sucks for me, and i seem to just drop the ball.

im the LAST person out of the plane. by that point, the lines have been banging on the side of the plane, the pilot is pulling them in while the plane goes apeshit and im just a wreck mentally. my buddy james, the one in the picture with the rig on, is always the first one out, and has been doing GREAT.

any advice. i dont want to not go tomorrow to finish this, but man, that cessna, just has me mentally fried. i truely wish i had done the aff where i dont have to climb out onto the wheel, hang from the strut, and at that point be freaked out because the pilot has been trying to fly, pull in the lines and whatnot.
chris

Day-Day that CRAAAAAAAZY bitch is out there again!!!

That damn strut sucks ass, no two ways about it. Just shut your mind off and do it, other than that it's freaky shit.

Maybe focus on stuff close to you, like the actual strut and your gloves grabbing it, instead of the ground way down there. Seriously though, try not to think at all, just watch yourself act.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

Isn't it technically against USPA guidelines for people to "double dip." By this I mean, performing more than one task at a time: Pilot and jumpmaster. It just seems a bit dangerous to me for your jumpmaster to be the pilot. What if emergency procedures needed to be handled, for instance, student in tow? How can your instructor observe the student while also flying the plane?

Well, switch to AFF. I did.

I had over 100 military jumps so jumping wasn't scarey, but hanging on the strut for IAD (similar to static) was "unnatural" After 13 IAD jumps I switched to AFF and I'm glad I did. Being very much a kinestetic learner I also benefited from having an instructor right beside me in freefall rather than a instructor watching me flail as I let go of the strut.;)

Hey tecdady imagine if you got hooked up over the tail and you couldnt release yourself. Its the jm's job to try and help out by calming you down and maybe cutting you loose.
Did you think of that?

Dont mean to worry you but I would be.
Worried that IS:S

www.myspace.com/durtymac

steve, thats what im pondering. being 6'4" doesnt help. i feel so shaken up being the last one out, and then shoved under that wing. not to mention being the last one out, after the plane has been pitching and rolling and having static lines banging on the side, im just wrecked. im going to talk to bill tomorrow and see about switching to aff.

yeah i agree. i can arch just fine, but to have to do it in .5 seconds after being so shaken up, just isnt working. i think if i can get in a plane that has a DEDICATED pilot and not have to worry about it crashing before i get out ill be better off. like i said, its not the skydiving that wrecking me, its all the stuff in the plane before that is ruining me before i even get to that point.

I can definitely sympathize with you on that feeling you have when that door opens and you gotta get out of the plane and hang onto that strut for a good 5 seconds before exiting. Like others, I turned my mind off. I would literally put myself on auto-pilot and just go through the motions of getting out of that plane. The only difference is, I had about 6K more than you to get my butt stable. Seriously, take one thing at a time. If it's being out on that step that's freaking you out, talk to your JM. If it's the issue of being stable at 5K or 6K when you exit, switch to AFF and gain some more altitude. This is your training and if ever you feel uncomfortable, don't hesitate to go to your JM and discuss it with him. Don't be in a rush either, know your limitations.