g2gjump

Suunto altimeter question

Whenever i try to zero in the altimeter on my suunto vector, the message "def" pops up and it resets the altimeter, in my case it defaults at 3600ft. I have tried many different ways to zero it in but once i get down to 800 ft it just resets itself.

How do i prevent this?
Is there a way i can set the default to 0?

Whenever i try to zero in the altimeter on my suunto vector, the message "def" pops up and it resets the altimeter, in my case it defaults at 3600ft. I have tried many different ways to zero it in but once i get down to 800 ft it just resets itself.

How do i prevent this?
Is there a way i can set the default to 0?

Hey Kurt,

I remember having something like that happen with one of my Vectors years ago...but I can't remember what ended up being the issue...I think it was just something I was doing. I don't have a Vector with me right now, but I'm looking through the manual to see if I can find something about that. Here's the link as well:

http://media.suunto.com/media/suunto/manuals/multilangual/Altimax_Vector_X-Lander_S-Lander_multi_v3_m56577569830621783.pdf

I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out...

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Hey Kurt,

It sounds like you may be in the pressure sensor calibration mode instead of the altimeter mode, which is used to put the altimeter on zero. There is not a way to have it permanently on zero every time you are on the ground, you will have to zero it out at the beginning of the day...and sometimes later in the day as well if there has been a pressure change.

Look through the manual link I gave you at the pressure sensor calibration paragraph as well as the altimeter mode entries. If you're still having trouble, give me a call on Saturday when I'm back in the shop and I can walk you through it when I have a Vector in my hands.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Just let up and press the button again, thats what works for me. I believe I also lowered the def setting to "0" as well. As stated, it will change and require resetting throughout the day if the pressure changes.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

i just keep hitting the change alti button (either bottom, depending which way I am going) even when it says def. It will go past it.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

Thanks for the link mike,

It seemed to fix itself once i landed in seatac where the the altitude is alot lower than denver.

If you were trying to zero it in Denver, that would be the root of your problem. The Vector has a maximum amount of adjustment, and from memory I *think* its somewhere around 4200 to 4500 feet.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.