rynodigsmusic

slimmer camera designs???

Is ANYONE taking into consideration the number of camera/video entanglements? Not all of them are fatal or have created incidents but in my opinion if it happens just once it should be discussed and examined a little deeper.

It seems to me that someone might come up with a more slim design that would at least attempt to put something with a much less profile on our heads. Im only interested in serious replys, preferably from those who fly camera and consider themselves photographers. I know the SLR gets great pics at fast shutter speeds, but could there possibly be another way to get the shot without taking the added risk? What about mounting the camera somewhere else like the crotch? I was sort of just kidding about that last part.

Just curious to know if this has been discussed and I just dont know how to do the proper search...
"We didn't start the fire"

Yes, wide side mounted cameras can be an issue.

It has been discussed many times in the Photography and Video forum here.

Skydiving is such a small section of the video using population, we are but a blip when manufacturers consider their target audience.

Laslo has been able to hack some of the Kodak cameras to install a bite/tongue switch, but there are very few options there as well verses a dslr.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

>It seems to me that someone might come up with a more slim
>design that would at least attempt to put something with a much less
>profile on our heads.

Yes, that would be nice.

But for many videographers, you cannot get the sort of lens you need for good photography in a low-profile mount, and the sort of molding you'd need to "smooth it over" would be prohibitively expensive. For those with the money, and without the need for really good glass, there are several low profile options available (like bullet cameras and point-and-shoots.)

One techno-geek suggested opening the case - of a stock SONY, etc. - video camera and re-distributing the components around the inside of a helmet.

He wanted to install the lens and CCD in the fore head, the view screen on the right side, control panel on the left side, monitor on the rear and the battery where-ever it balanced best.
Then he would have to figure out ways of preventing your head (e.g. ears) from interfering, shorting out circuit boards, pressing buttons at random, etc.

The bottom line is that is possible to build a low-profile camera helmet, with production components, but you needed advanced technician skills to complete the project.

>The bottom line is that is possible to build a low-profile camera helmet,
>with production components . . .

The cameras out there now (like the CX-7) are basically just imager and lens and a tiny bit of electronics. You're not going to get much lower profile because the lens and imager can't move.

In any case, people have this odd perception that it's the "profile" of the camera that makes doing camera safe or unsafe. It is not. It is skydiver skill that makes the difference. A good camera flyer with two unprotected video cameras, a front mount full-frame SLR with a big lens, and a non-breakaway ringsight is going to be a lot safer, and a lot less likely to snag anything, than a low-experienced jumper with a very low profile helmet.

Try these:

SONY TG1/TG3 with Cookie side mount box:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3286328;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

ELMO SUV CAM II / PRO:

http://www.elmo.co.jp/suv-cam/en/index.html
Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jellyside down. A cat glued to some jelly toast will hover in quantum indecision.

I spent a little time working on a design that would just mold the CCD array and lens mount to the helmet and relocate everything else inside the jumpsuit. Ultimately I found it would be just too expensive for me to develop such a thing. It is definitely possible.

-Michael

Is ANYONE taking into consideration the number of camera/video entanglements? .

Nope...no one has ever thought about camera entanglements before...:Pyou might search the photo forum for the subject...there are a few vids as well.

Mounting the lens and recording unit has never been easier. It's gonna be expensive if you want quality, but all the tools are available, easy to find, and easy to build into various helmets. Chris/Bonehead as built a couple very custom helmet rigs with HD heads embedded in them. It's a foolish prospect, IMO, and for the most part, exceptionally unnecessary.

One techno-geek suggested opening the case - of a stock SONY, etc. - video camera and re-distributing the components around the inside of a helmet

i actually hold a patent for that idea, i thought of it while installing my cam eye in to my cumbersome top mount helmet about 6 years ago.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3295985;search_string=patent;#3295985

still sitting on it,
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix